Thruxton R Brake Bleeding, Lever Come All The Way Back

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by wizard, Feb 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wizard

wizard Member

hi guys,having a quick look on here there seems to be a few guys with a poor front brake with the r first pull it nearly comes back to the lever then on the 2nd 3rd pull is a lot better, just wanted to ask has anyone had this and there dealer has bleed it correctly , mine has this problem and spoke to dealer and they saying they are all like this (bloody typical dealer reply in my eyes) can anybody help whos had it on there bike and a good dealer who has had it bleed the right way .on the triumph rat site theirs a few guys had it and when the system bleed the correct way (open up the abs valves etc )it surprise surprise goes away
    jason

2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    If you have to pump lever, you've got air in the system..... needs bleeding!
    Two options:
    Take it back to the dealer, who will say its normal or "feck it reet up"
    Or preferably do it yourself, takes minutes to do properly!

3. wizard

wizard Member

hi, thanks for the reply, do you bleed as normal or do you need truimph kit to open the abs valves as a few people say that you need this do it the correct way
    oh yeah dealer they are all like that ffs
    jason

4. wizard

wizard Member

cheers for info , did you bleed at the calipers or the master cylinder
    what did you do first
    jason

5. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Both. Master then calipers. When you have a achieved the right feel in the lever. Strap the lever in the closed position (as if pulling lever) with a bungee or cable tie for a few hours or overnight. This will get rid of the last microscopic bubbles in the system................ works for me!;)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Sorry guys you are correct. My setup is somewhat different on my Bonneville. When changing the caliper and hose, I could not get the master cylinder to prime. So a banjo with a nipple was fitted at MC, hence my first "bleeding" point is there! Why they don't fit there as standard........:confused:;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. wizard

wizard Member

hi, i have tried this first but no joy
    jason

8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I normally service the calipers at the same time so gently push the pistons all the way back and give everything a good clean and a thin smear of copaslip then take the reservoir cap off and using a syringe take all but the last dregs of old fluid out and fill slowly with new. Then bleed by opening the bleed nipples on the calipers. That way I’ve taken a lot of old fluid out and I don’t have to shove it all down the hoses to come out at the caliper. Never had to tie the lever back under pressure and never had any issues by not cycling the valves in the ABS unit.

9. wizard

wizard Member

just phoned the dealer , explained whats happening and spoke to one of there top techs and guess what he suggested to reverse bleed the system from calipers up to m/c .no hint of connecting up to truimph dealer tool to open abs valves to bleed which i am lead to believe is the correct way. FFS they are main dealer why cant they do it the right way first time , oh and never heard of that before
    i will phone a couple of more dealers
    jason

10. wizard

wizard Member

just phoned the dealer , explained whats happening and spoke to one of there top techs and guess what he suggested to reverse bleed the system from calipers up to m/c .no hint of connecting up to truimph dealer tool to open abs valves to bleed which i am lead to believe is the correct way. FFS they are main dealer why cant they do it the right way first time , oh and never heard of that before
    i though they were truimph trained etc and go to lots of training courses
    when i worked for toyota i had to attend shit loads of courses on all new models
    i will phone a couple of more dealers
    jason