Quik Hello...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Dodge, Jan 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Obviously just joined, following usual forum process of jumping in here to say hello before soaking up knowledge and experience I've found over the last few weeks lurking around in the shadows...

I picked up a '96 Daytona a few months back, its in pretty good shape, but rough enough to not warrant saving, so I'm going the custom modifying route and just committed to a CRK build... I first found my way here following a few great threads of completed CRK builds...

Been riding since I was a kid in the 70's, been through most disciplines, trials, motocross, road, track, touring, enduro etc. on most brands of bikes but never owned a Triumph until now... was searching around for a vintage Triumph for ages but never really found the right thing and by accident ended up with the Daytona, so I'll come back to the vintage stuff later in the year...

...right now it's all about the Daytona CRK build...

So my first question to the forum, I dropped the engine yesterday, and now need to form a plan on what servicing I should do to take advantage of the engine out of the frame and prior to a paint freshen up? Its got approx. 22k miles on it with a full pretty concise stamped and invoice supported service history.

So what you recommend doing? if anything???

Thanks in advance...

• Like Like x 2
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome
    I’m sure there’ll be inmates around soon to help you with your questions but to keep them happy you’ll need to pacify them with pictures or crayons :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Here you go, the beginning..

[​IMG]

...right now, engine out, sub frame removed... if it warms up a tad and i can face working in the garage, swing arm will be out and front end off today too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then next week I can get on with cleaning 20 odd years of gunk off it all...

How's that...

• Like Like x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Wow what a great start for your new bike. I cannot wait to see the finished job; hats off to you.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Dodge and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome in Dodge, You dont hang aboot do ya, keep gan son !!
    Its great to see a good strip down (steady lads) all we've had lately is a silly back box fit and some oval holes cut with mesh behind :p:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to a great forum. Looking forward to seeing your bike’s progress.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome... and the invite to the forum meet, I'm hoping the bike would be ready for this, but in the same breath I'm already booked to be overseas on this date, maybe another year...

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    A very warm welcome to you buddy :)

Very much looking forward to the build :). Keep it up;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome too the nuthouse you should fit right in .
    Tucker:mask:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    And another late welcome in. You’ve fair old stripped the thing fast to nearly nothing there. Looks like it’s going to be an interesting build.

• Like Like x 1
  14. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    So my first question to the forum, I dropped the engine yesterday, and now need to form a plan on what servicing I should do to take advantage of the engine out of the frame and prior to a paint freshen up? Its got approx. 22k miles on it with a full pretty concise stamped and invoice supported service history.

So what you recommend doing? if anything???

Welcome Dodge,
    IMO....Mint it & out it back together lol. Not many 22k versions around so for me this is sacrilege!!!!!! :(
    What you doing with all the parts your getting rid of though?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    That's a fair point and something I would agree with you on, but not this model... however, I did considered this before venturing on a custom build with this one... At first I wasn't going to touch it, but as I got further into its recent past become more apparent, I'd say the last few thousand miles or so this was a commuter bike that received little love, huge amounts of grime, plenty of rust, leaking carbs etc. etc. there was also plenty of evidence it had been dropped a time or two and the fairing in a few area's was repaired badly, along with the lights and screen... from 10 paces it looked tidy but once behind the fairings it wasn't a pretty sight, there was enough damage to warrant not patching it up and flipping it... I've resorted bikes to former "original" glory as well as customising in the past it depends on what you're working with... I've been given a hard time in the past for a similar route I took with a Kawasaki Z650 but the fact I practically saved it from a scrap yard where it would of been crushed, and turned it into a usable bike again, albeit a bit of Cafe Racer look to it I'd say customising is the lesser of the 2 evils...

All the parts I'm not using were moved on at the cost of delivery... some bits will be usable, and some bits maybe not, but they all went to a good home and should...

If this was a stand out model, a homologation special or similar I would of restored...

• Like Like x 2
  16. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Eh up Dodge,
    Fair point if she was bad ...but nowt cant be fixed these days eh? Mind, as we all know the money aint in them once you have spent a fortune restoring them!

To me its still sacrilege :) but mate its your bike & i hope you enjoy doing it up & the finished product. Keep the photo`s coming!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Threepots

Threepots Member

May 17, 2015
    wales uk
    Welcome mate looking forward to the build keep the pics coming

18. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks... will do. I guess its time to leave the intro page behind and open a thread in the builds & projects area.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum