Tiger 800 Quick Stator Check

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by crispey, Jul 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well following on from a reoccurrence of a mystery engine noise, kind of whirring in time with engine revs, and a good hunt of the internet and Youtube the majority of people who had a similar noise fixed it by tightening the Allen bolts that hold the stator to the casing. So whilst in Wales my gasket arrived and I decided to investigamate.
    Took about 20 mins to get the cover off, rubber mallet, wooden wedges etc, it’s a strong magnet!
    Then about 2.5 hours to clean the old gasket off!
    Oh yes the bolts were tight!! So that wasn’t the problem. Pisser!!
    414087DC-F0BD-4836-B3CE-3D84C5418301.jpeg

2. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok an update if anyone is looking to do this. I was on my way down the A32 to see my father, Tracey was running really sweet, got low on fuel so decided to stop and fill up before I reached my dads rather than fuel up after, as I came back from paying I noticed a puddle of oil under my bike, thoughts that it might have been there before I arrived we’re quashed by the steady dripping from my engine, closer inspection showed it spread down the swinging arm, all over the engine up the panniers etc. I was lucky I’d stopped when I did, I must have been very close to running out of oil and bloody lucky none had got onto my rear tyre. The culprit? This little f#%ker
    BA302869-F052-4DEE-B903-E444D6F0F2BD.jpeg
    Seemingly renowned for not seating properly on reassembly, I thought I’d taken care with it, obviously not enough as although I had had a short run on Monday after working on her and another short run on Tuesday I hadn’t really opened her up. Todays blast down the A3 and onto the A32 must have dislodged the rubber seal and eventually it popped out, resulting in the oil spray and even worse the cable for the stator chafing on the edge of the casing and exposing the wire!!
    Bollox!!

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Damn, not good
    But as you say, at least you realised before anything terminal had occured.
    Are able to repair the wiring or is it a new stator?
    When I changed mine I used some gasket sealant around there, more to stop water getting in and hold the wire in place while I put the cover back on.
    Hope it is an easy fix for you and glad it wasn't any worse.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    How did you get home?

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Rac. Having told them it wasn’t repairable they still had to send someone out to confirm it, he insisted that he had to attempt it although I told him the gasket would get buggered and all the oil over the back was potentially dangerous. Anyway under my close supervision, the cover was removed and the gasket got buggered and he said he couldn’t repair it: unamused: and would have to get a recovery van out:mad: got home about 5:00pm

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Could over filling with oil blow that rubber out?

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If that picture is of your stator and not a stock photo, I would say a few of those cells have burnt out!!!
    Replacement would be necessary

Have you checked the battery is charging as expecting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup battery’s charging fine

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I must agree with this .........
    I would be looking for a spare stator, that one looks to be on its way out due to heat damage, the colour changes are a definite indication of problems on the way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Any updates?

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not as yet. Been too busy with w*rk. Having looked at a load of second hand stators loads seem discoloured like mine so am going to do some in situ voltage checks then check the reg/rec and go from there

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not as yet. Been too busy with w*rk. Having looked at a load of second hand stators loads seem discoloured like mine so am going to do some in situ voltage checks then check the reg/rec and go from there

• Like Like x 2
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's a bit of a bummer mate but at least you spotted it before causing major damage! :mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Stators ok, I want to try disconnecting the reg/Rec to see if the noise stops, although it’s less prominent if there at all, as, seemingly this going can cause the stator to work harder and produce this noise.
    All pretty hit or miss but I will find some time to do it.

• Like Like x 2