Question, Which One?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Martylaa, Oct 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martylaa

Martylaa Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    Question for you guys which I’m hoping you could help.

I’m looking for a second bike for midweek or weekend days out, nothing too far and don’t need anything fast.

I’ve been looking at a load of bikes but with regards to the Triumph range, specifically the Street Twin and the Street Scrambler, I’m 6ft 1” and just wondering if the Twin would be too low for me.
    I wish I could find a dealer near me that has both bikes available to try but neither do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    For me the only way you can make your choice is to test ride them both, even if that means you have to travel to do it. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Martylaa

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    Agreed, it’s a nightmare at the moment trying to get test rides of bikes, I’d understand it if it was a new model just come out but not something that’s been out for a long time like these two.

My local Dealer has them in the showroom but not available other than to sit on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    That is a shame. You would think that if he wants a sale he would give you the chance to ride them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    You really have to find a dealer who has a secondhand model and go and test ride that.
    I would think that you will be rather cramped on the Street Twin, the seat is low and therefore the distance from seat to footpegs is closer. I have just changed bikes to a Street Twin specifically because it is small with a low seat height, but I am only 5' 6" and it fits me fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Martylaa

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    #6 Martylaa, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Just went up to the Dealers to sit on them and can’t even do that as they are all sold, sat on a T100 which has the same seat height as the Scrambler and it felt a good height. Think the 765mm seat on the Street Twin will indeed be too small.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Sounds like a straight Bonneville fits the bill unless you're looking at doing a bit of trail riding. Then the answer is obvious.

As far as power goes, better to have and not need than to need and not have. 1200cc all the way. FYI- AFAIK Speed Twins are still significantly lighter than Streets. Speed Twin leg position lends itself to taller riders too as your knees are bent at a slightly smaller angle.

…But then I'm probably biased here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Martylaa
    A dealer that won't let you test a bike would not be getting any business of me. They are specifically supplied test machines from Triumph that are specifically for that purpose. I would rather travel a couple of hundred mile than waste my time with a jobs worth.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Martylaa

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    It’s annoying like, even worse is when you turn up and all the bikes you want to try for comparison, you aren’t even allowed to sit on them, literally they had say 15 bikes and about 8 of them had signs on saying sold and you were unable to sit on them.
    Wasted the journey up there tbh, but it’s a business model I guess that is working for car and bike dealers at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Martylaa.
    No its not. I have many bikes over the last forty odd years. And never once been refused a test ride. I do know you have to have had your licence for i think over two years. But if someone want to buy a bike then just to sit on it is acceptable. If they are a Triumph dealer then i would certainly be having a moan at Triumph UK.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Martylaa
    Good luck finding someplace to at least sit on the bikes you're looking at and perhaps even figuring out how to get in some test rides. I was wondering whether you'd considered the Speed Twin? I'm far from 6'1" (I'm 5'7") and though I've not ridden the Street Twin or the Speed Twin, I've sat on both several times at my dealership and the Speed Twin definitely feels taller to me. I haven't look at the specs but just thought I'd throw my observation in the ring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I think the Street Twin is an ideal second bike because I have one! Well, mine is a converted Street Cup but the riding position and height is the same. I am 6ft with a 34” inside leg and find the position just right for up to 2 hours of continuous riding.

Similarly the T100, Scrambler, Speed Triple and more expensive Speed Twin should suit your height.

• Agree Agree x 1