Quandary...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DCS222, Sep 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I've found myself in a bit of a quandary... I bought the Legend to have a more relaxed ride, less license risk and good touring capability. I've had fun upgrading and tinkering! But here's the rub, it's in such clean condition that I hate the thought of riding it in the wet... with the subsequent polish and clean up to ensure it stays in good nick.
    I've hardly ridden it this year, except to work (when it's seemed to be the driest) but that's British weather for you.
    I can't afford, or have space for, another bike.
    So do I sell my nice bike, hope to make my money back and get summat more "hard wearing" like a Tiger 1050?

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Use ACF50 or similar and enjoy riding what you have no matter what the weather, would be my solution

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I know what you mean Im looking to by something to leave out side the house and use daily,work on a bit.
    Only, when I see these 500 pound bikes, Im immediatly thinking " it will need this and this and...' Then I start thinking "oh once Ive done that ill need to keep it inside"
    I think you should just ride it,anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well put!

5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

That the kinda stuff I keep telling myself... I bought a load of the scottoiler squirt on stuff with that in mind... but it says "for best results, put onto a wet bike... not to put onto a hot bike, cover the brake surfaces" etc. etc. Which means coming in from a ride, letting the bike cool, probably re- wetting the bike, arsing round with the wheel/brakes before spraying... adding an hour of faff to the evening, when a bike like the Tiger would be, park in garage... take off wet gear, go inside n' drink your beer and only worry about washng the bike when you feel like it...

I sound like a reet fanny saying it, but there's a big attraction to a ride n forget bike... I just don't think I'm a born polisher ( sorry @Sir Trev )

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Basically now youre saying you have the wrong bike for the sort of riding and owning you want.

So change it and get the bike that fits what you want to do !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Yeah, I reckon that's the case...

So it's change the bike (or the country I live in?) time

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you can change the country you live in...DO IT!!
    It's shite here :(
    Feck it I'd be off like a shot given half a chance....I'm sick to death of being wet & cold :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

You sure your a proper Geordie!:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I know what you mean. I'm lucky enough to have and have space in the garage for two bikes. I hate the thought of the Bonnie getting dirty and having to clean and polish it so it stays out of the rain.
    On the other hand the Tiger ( although the newer bike) goes out in all weathers. I haven't washed it for three weeks and it will get even dirtier coming back from the Netherlands as it's going to piss down for the next three days. Might wash it at the weekend but might not!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    As a Triumph Thunderbird 900 Rider i understand your dilemma. Dont ever come to the GMU. you'll be cleaning your bike for weeks after :p.

Why do you think i brought the GTR1000 , Weather protection:grinning::grinning:;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Contrary to popular opinion (well, probably only yours actually DCS) I don't spend all day cleaning things. When I do I like to do it well :cool:. My T100 got very wet yesterday when the forecast turned out to be a lie, yet again, but I'll give it a wash in a few days and I know it will be fine. Ideally I don't go out if it's going to be wet and horrible but sometimes the urge to ride gets the better of all of us, and when you have a nice new toy to use...

I will almost certainly avoid the salty roads season but will be using the ACF50 over the winter to help keep the chrome in good condition, plenty of carnuba wax on the paintwork, and all that. Life is short and if you cannot afford a bike for showroom gleam and one for use then just accept it and ride it. I do. And then spend some therapeutic hours cleaning it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I must be tapped then as I enjoy riding in most weathers:), however I do draw the line at Ice & Snow :(.

If I restricted my riding time to dry days then the bike would never got out of the garage .......

All the same you young uns gone soft :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Guess I'm fortunate I have a bike specifically for use in the wet. If I ever sell it, I will put on the advert- only ever ridden in the rain! :p
    Taking the KTM out when it's sunny and dry is a bit boring, sliding around in the rain and mud through the forests is way more fun.
    Took it out in the snow a couple of times, brilliant fun. !!

It's just a bike, cover it in acf50 and use it all year through. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Why ride and get wet if you have a car? Yes, when i couldn't afford a car i rode in all weather including Snow. But now i have a car I only ride in the wet if i'm caught or at the GMU:p. TBH I love biking, but its far more enjoyable in the dry . :sun:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Just in the process of selling the car so I can get another bike :imp::cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

An old mate passed on a wet weather tip... most motorcycle gear is a bit shite in the rain. So he wears his leathers and fishing waterproofs over the top... reckons they are much better 100% proof

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Beginning to wonder if I was adopted :confused:

19. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    My council gear worked well at the GMU;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Who by Shrek and Fiona :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  21. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cheeky bugger :mad:
    Somebody hold my jacket :mad: