Pyrenees Advice Please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andypandy, Mar 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I'm hoping to ride down through CESM land and catch a ferry back from Santander. I plan to do this in early September. I've never done this before but I fancy crossing the Pyrenees. This is my route :-
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/O...1d-3.8099803!2d43.4623057!2m2!1b1!2b1!3e0!4e1
    What worries me is that whenever I've crossed these mountains (in a plane) they always look snowy and very daunting. Is this realistic ? Has anyone used this route ?

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Not done that route mate, spent a few days in Pyrenees last June, temp then was over 30 deg C most days, in parts that were in constant shade up high there was still some snow, but not on any of the roads we went on.
    As a side issue, Jaca is a lovely place for an overnight stop, very good bars and restaurants which seemed very cheap, would leave you a relaxed days ride for the ferry the following afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I did a very similar route about 12 yrs ago. If you have time (maybe an extra 5-6hrs) I would recommend a turn West before you get to the Border and head over the Col du Tourmalet, reputedly the toughest climb on the Tour de France, then head South uphill to Gavarnie and its spectacular circle.
    upload_2019-3-4_16-22-15.jpeg
    It’s a dead end so you blat back and keep turning left on the major routes back into Spain and rejoin your original route.
    In September it will be pretty warm but cooling into the evenings. The snow will be well above your head! Hotel Le Marbore in Gavarnie was my bunk for the night and quite pleasant for a quick overnighted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    You should be fine,think the snow's come November time.
    Oradour-Sur-Glane is worth a visit,very moving.
    Potes is worth it to,bit touristy,watch out for the Tapas,it's massive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Went through on that road a few years ago, should have no problems. As SJ say's Jaca is a great place to stop over and when it rains, it bloody rains. Not sure if it is still there but there was a fantastic truck stop at Agen, well worth a stop.
    Wessa

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    You’ll have no problems with snow Andy at that time of year.

The area of France that your riding through can be quite hot at that time of year.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Thanks for the advice chaps, I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    No worries mate, you’ll be fine!

Just don’t forget your summer clothing!

• Like Like x 2