Protecting Phone Sockets With Silicone Grease? Protective Boots Or Caps For Usb Lead.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Notso, Feb 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Anyone put silicone grease in the phone sockets? In theory a quick simple way to protect my phone when mounted on the bike or used in the wet, but very hard to undo if it doesn't work! I have an old Samsung S7 and despite being waterproof(ish) they are notorious for detecting water in the micro USB socket.

I plan to do a simple USB lead fixed under tank to the socket under the seat. I found a micro USB silicon end cap to stop muck and water getting on it when not used;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113203066422
    I really wanted a boot a bit like you get on Din plugs, couldn't find one, nearest I got was Cozi caps but they are all out of stock.

2. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    sorry Notso, I keep mine in my pocket :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bryf

Bryf Guest

#3 Bryf, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
    Me too, Easy Tiger, prefer to plan ahead and to be able to fully concentrate and enjoy the ride rather than looking at phones or sat navs, I just check phone for messages etc when I stop for a piss o_O which is getting a lot more regular nowadays sadly:dizzy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Thanks for the link to waterproof cases. Kind of did this arse about face and have already treated myself to a quadlock.

Fair point about not using sat nav, tend to agree for most of my rides, hence the need for a way to protect the USB lead. Your memories must be better than mine for longer trips though, I always seem to get lost no matter how much memorising I try to do. I then find myself making late decisions whilst looking out for fingerposts and route signs rather than concentrating on the road.

6. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Put it in your breast pocket with headphones to give you the Google Maps (SatNav) instructions. That’s what I do when I haven’t got the TomTom with me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1