Prospective New Speed Twin Owner Looking For Insight / Perspective

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Warren71, Jun 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    Hi,

I have a Speed triple, now going on about 4,000 miles and despite finding the mid-range absolutely intoxicating, I just really haven't meshed with the bike like I wanted.

A bit too committed when not being crazy on it. It actually makes me (50) drive like a 20 year old looking to lose his license because that's the only way I enjoy this bike, open throttle. Its not as flickable as other bikes (I miss my 2010 ST3), nor as comfy and simply eggs you on if you want to enjoy it.

My goal is have one touring bike (currently a 2015 BMW R1200RS) and one fun, comfortable, flickable commuter for local and 3 hr canyon trip, that I can drive both casually and, occasionally, like a maniac.

A few have pointed me towards the Speed twin as a good choice for this. (I also just road the Z900RS)

Here's my dilemma: I'm very on the fence on this one, afraid to give up the fun of the Speed triple, but really looking for something less committed, more comfortable and more relaxed when the mood suits?

Its been all theoretical until today.

I happened to be at my dealer today for a recall on the triple, get to chatting and somehow found myself with the keys to a grey 2019 speed twin. It wasn't a demo so limited myself to 20 miles and tried to take it easy on it.

I have to say, I was a bit taken by surprise. At first, I thought it a bicycle. So diminutive. How could this thing way more than my triple? The rake angle took a bit of getting used too. After a few miles I had the geometry somewhat sorted out ... couldn't believe how light it felt. Sure had a nice sound. Fun to open it up and pretty soon I'm thinking maybe this is what I should have bought all along

Felt peppy, though after a speed triple, its definitely a step down, but not lacking by any means. Certainly more relaxed. More agile at low speed. More open with the road, if that makes any sense. Skinny. Less refined, but less committed and maybe more open to whatever style or riding your mood strikes you.

At the end of 20 miles, I had the sense this was simply a raw old school bike with some modern amenities. Very capable and had the potential to be just a fun ripper.

I didn't get a great sense for lean angle on it (I was mellow), longer term comfort, vibrations and stability and how planted the bike is. Just too quick a ride I'm afraid. Heck it took me that long to get use to the tiny gear levers.

Any long term opinions especially as it relates to what I'm trying to get out of this bike?

Will the demon in me still be satisfied on this?

Is it still a fun and easy bike to drive leisurely when the mood strikes you?

Any who came here from a triple (street or speed, as I've had both and loved the street)?

Long term niggles or negatives (aside from brake squeal which my speed has too)

Long term positives?

I'm sooo itching to do this, but some lingering doubts as its a very different bike from my past (mostly sport bikes, sport tourers) and I wish I had a full day on this thing.

Thanks folks. Any insight would be appreciated !!!!

2. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    yeah I saw that when I was poking around.

I did not show my wife cause shes thinking getting me off the speed triple will be the safe, conservative choice ... not that I can ride like that anyway. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    :)I’ve owned my Speed Twin for over a year, purchased in March 2019 when they first came out, and have never been more in love with a bike. Handles like my old sport bikes (GSXR 750 & 600), feels light and nimble, very comfortable laid over in a turn. Has plenty of power, very torquey low end power not the high speed top end power. Which for me is perfect, I don’t have the desire to do 160+ mph anymore, but is still fun to get up to speed (60, 70, 80+) very quickly. I’ve never thought “man I wish this thing was faster.”
    Others have complained about suspension, which after doing some road trips I can see where improvements can be made, but where I live the roads are quite good overall and stock suspension has been great. Just finished a 3 day road trip (about 890 miles) and the bike did incredible, although cruise control would be a very welcomed addition.
    Styling...I mean come on, one of the sexiest bikes in the road. I get tons of looks/compliments every where I go. Old school style, modern amenities like traction control, EFI, ABS, ride modes, etc.
    I really can’t think of anything I don’t like about the bike. Brake squeal has been minimal for me, suspension has been adequate, power has totally satisfied my wants/needs. I would absolutely buy this bike again.
    Hope this helps:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    sounds like the highest compliment you an give a bike!

I can only think of one bike I've felt that way about in 50 years (2010 ST3 R) and I regret the day I sold that.

I think ill get over my concerns see if I cant get another few miles on her and make the trade. I may be the only guy dropping from a triple to a twin ... though I suspect a few on the forum have done the same.

Glad to know shell still play like a sports bike despite being able to be mild mannered and offer all day comfort.

thank you

• Like Like x 2
  6. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    a few f/u Q if you dont mind:

The top end north of 110 is a rare thing for me - a few times a year. Mostly 80-90, occasional blips to 100.
    I like to dart of the line in the city too, especially now that we can finally lane split here in Utah.

1) how's the acceleration both off the line, and when you're at speed?

2) If you're at 70 and need to blip past someone, can you get to 90 in a twist ? Do you need to drop a gear and is there a lag or a sluggish acceleration at that range?

3) If cruising at 80-90, do you feel like the bike is settled and stable?

4) Twisties, can you really lay into tight corners? Chicken stripes still present?

5) Heat off the engine- how bad is it?

thanks all!

oh - Has anyone found titanium headers for this bike ? ? ? Seems like a good fit on the color (I'm eyeballing the grey), plus a tad of weight savings

7. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    See comments above

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Had mine for over a year now and done close to 5000 miles, love the bike although it does have its limitations which you will see in answer to your twisties question

1+2 - Acceleration is good from the off and also from speed, with no real need to drop gears as engine is torquey enough to pull comfortably up to higher speeds quickly with a twist of the throttle.

3 - Bike is stable, settled, smooth and comfortable at 80 - 90

4 - This is the only area that has been a problem for me, I have no chicken strips and use the full tyre, I do tend to corner quickly which the bike can handle comfortably and confidently by the way, even with the standard, pretty basic suspension, but as a result of grounding it it has caused a fair bit of cosmetic damage to the bike, the debris kicked up from grounding the blobs chipped the black paint on the exhausts and caused a bit of pitting on the swing arm, I have also damaged the brake and gear levers as well as the centre stand by forgetting and letting the blobs wear down too much and grounding each of these items, I have actually had to change the way I ride it now to try to ensure I cause no further damage. I luckily have a second bike (Tuono) which I use for my madder moments, and I use my Speed Twin for days when I'm feeling a bit more sedate, lol.
    Hopefully this info will maybe save you having any similar issues

5 - Cant say I have noticed any excess engine heat.

All the best

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Think you have answered your own question already... get another test ride.
    I’ll bet you chop in the Triple.

Im only 700mile in. Only negatives for me are big long straights. Not worth the effort/ not satisfying ragging it to an inch of its performance. Like maybe your triple (or a four) would be. Feels like I’m ruining the tyres for what the bike is best at, fun in the twisties.
    For me the joy is about firing out of corners. And I’m finding firing out of corners at any revs really satisfying. 2nd-5th. Tickling the throttle at peak torque or giving it big licks from low revs. Equally enjoyable.

And the other negative is the TC is rudimentary. But I understand these days why it’s there. But you can switch it off. Wish you could just have it on, in RAIN mode.

Anyway that’s my thoughts so far. Good luck bud.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    appreciate all the feedback, on this thread and other posts, even some youtube folks (missender flyer is a true gent).

Took a few other bikes out ... mostly came back pretty fast. At 50, you have a fairly good idea of what your after (at this moment in time anyway) and what will or wont work.

Took the street twin out again for another 50+ and , ill just say this I "got it".

After lunch and a beer, i decided to trade away the bike that its only true endearing quality was pure speed. Lose your license speed: pop 80 on a side street to pass, blip to 100 to make a pass on the highway at the last second , or go 125+ in MT / WY cause you could. Truthfully I'll miss that, but to be on a bike that doesn't feel like you HAD to do that to enjoy it, was still very capable at putting a grin on your face in the 20-90 range, was nimble (despite being heavier - wow), was more open to the road (vs confined to the machine ) and not locked into one position ....and ultimately felt like it could be a hot rod when desired, but didn't have to be enjoyed.

I had to ask when the F*** would I even ride the speed if I had this. Not enough to even warrant the insurance.

So, today I had the pleasure of putting 200 miles of twisty break-in miles on a new speed twin. That put any nagging 3 am doubt to bed.

I hadn't had this much fun in years on a bike, And I'm still being break in gentle ... mostly,

I think half the thing is its so basic, so raw, but a damn good piece of equipment that will be as docile as you want and still be enjoyable, not get in between you and the road / environment, and can punch when it has to. etc.

I just need a seat that doesn't feel like plywood after 3 hours !

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Hello, Corbin -

IMG_20190720_164933.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Vet_Racer

Vet_Racer New Member

Feb 27, 2021
    Cincinnati
    I had the same debate with myself a month ago. I have a big-ass BMW touring rig, the K1600 GTL, which honestly is a hassle for around-town errands, but sensational for long trips. I tested a Speed Twin and fell in love and brought it home. It's light and after the GTL, feels "small" but it's actually a full-size bike. Good power, handling and damn, but it's eye-candy! Now I pick the bike that's the best for the ride, rather than trying to make one bike work for me, with all the compromises.

• Like Like x 1