Proposal For Licence Changes

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by mountainstumble, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mountainstumble

Jul 29, 2019
    Nottingham
    So, after 25 years off of a bike, I've spent the last 6 weeks re-experiencing the delights of car drivers. I've been undertaken and subsequently blocked in on the motorway; pulled out on whilst overtaking; had bmws, audis and mercs tailgating me; and most recently, a driver who (an attempt to impress his giggling girlfriend), managed to pull his mightly impressive ford fiesta up to an inch off my back wheel whilst sat stationary at a traffic light.

So given all of this, thinking aloud here, I'm wondering if its time for a rethink on the licencing of vehicle drivers. I've got two proposals to make:

1. Anyone attempting a CBT should pass their theory test first. I'm gobsmacked that you can legally ride on the ride without proving any knowledge of the basic laws first. I know I originally rode on a CBT for 2 years when I was younger, but, that was back in the days when the theory test for car drivers was just a few questions asked at the end of your test, used as a final decider if there was any doubt.

2. All car drivers should have to do 2 years on a bike via a CBT before being allowed to drive a car. Almost like a national service!

I'm sure that I'll never get these recommendations passed but I reckon the roads would be a safer place if everyone driving large metal boxes has previously experienced being on a bike.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Iv'e always said every 5yrs everybody should have to take their test again,that would lose 75% of the blind f--kers instantly,used to have this argument with my mate who drives an artic,he said i don't agree,i wouldn't pass my test again,i said well you shouldn't be on the road then should you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    There's drivers .......... and then there's screwdrivers!: unamused:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Try commuting everyday via the M6 and you'll lose the plot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reevo

Reevo Active Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Birmingham
    im a driving assessor on artics
    the crap we see every day is mindbending
    push bikes and taxis are the worst and best
    the majority of push bikers which i am one of
    understand that whatever happens no matter whos in the right
    your the one who will suffer the consequences of a coming together
    defensive riding, assume everyone wants to kill you
    the videos we use from round london are staggering
    there really are bad drivers in all classes
    but unless the car/lorry driver rides a motorbike,he has a very limited
    understanding of the dynamics of two wheels
    and the standards are getting worse year on year
    we do loads of training about vulnerable road users
    but vulnerable road users dont do any
    doesnt figure
    when i assess a driver its blindingly obvious that he rides a motorbike
    you lose that might is right attitude a lot of hgv drivers have
    good and bad in all
    just ride safe

• Like Like x 8
  6. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    When I started riding in the 1960’s most things with 4 wheels gasped & wheezed their way up to 50 mph so a motorbike went like a rocket by comparison. Also the violent Rocker image was still in people’s minds so they were very careful to keep out of your way and not mess with any leather jacketed potential hooligan on the road. Wow... how things change! ... virtually all cars zip along at much higher speeds than comfortable on a classic styled bike, and the hooligans are all in Corsa cars and the like...BMW/Audi = get out of my way arrogance...and ‘dottiness danger’ = those funny little noddy cars. .. none of which are good news for bikers. Main thing I’ve learned is to chill and let anyone overtake if they want to go faster than I do....and do my best to anticipate and keep well clear of the many 4 wheeled (& cyclist) twerps. As I am lucky enough to now only ride for pleasure I just turn off to a different route to get away from the hassle when I find myself on the same stretch of road as bad drivers.

• Like Like x 6
  7. mountainstumble

Jul 29, 2019
    Nottingham
    That is so so true!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Luckily i live on the outskirts of my town so within 5 mins i am out on the country lanes and away from it all,spend most of my biking life on b roads now,one of the only times i ventured into town on a bike in years happened to be at 3.30 where i was swiftly knocked off on a roundabout by an old biddy picking her grand kids up from school,1st time in over 40yrs been knocked off but once was bad enough,air ambulance job,the works,now i NEVER go anywhere near a town on my bike,the only time i use a major road is when i follow the BSB races,thank god i only ride "for fun" now and use my car for commutes.

• Like Like x 2