Problems With New Battery In Street Twin

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Whitstable, May 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Whitstable

Whitstable New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    Whitstable
    Last week I installed a new battery in my 2018 Street Twin. The battery was fully charged when I fitted it. The day after fitting the battery I took the bike for a ride. It started first time and the bike appeared to be running well when I took it to the petrol station to fill the tank. Then I took off for my ride, the first one for a few months.
    However, after about fifteen minutes, travelling at about 60mph on a major road, the engine cut out. I pushed the bike to a nearby service station and tried to restart it, but had no joy. There was little life in the instrument panel if I remember correctly.
    I was ready to ring for assistance when I tried the ignition another time. On this occasion the engine started and, much relieved, I set off for home. I took the long way back, putting the bike through its paces, doing twenty miles or so, and the bike was running smoothly.
    At home I checked the battery installation, undid the terminals and reattached them. I then tried to start the bike again but it behaved in an erratic fashion, sometimes starting and sometimes not. I was reluctant to take the bike out on the road again in case it stranded me.
    Is there any possible reason for my bike's behaviour following installation of a new battery? I've tried starting the bike a number of times in the garage and there have been no problems. There are no lit warning lights on the instrument panel but I haven't yet take the bike out on the road again.
    Any possible explanations and reasons for my bike's erratic performance will be very gratefully received. Is it likely to have been a 'one off?' I've googled left, right and centre but haven't got any closer to a plausible answer.
    Thank you.

2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi, the battery is maybe not the guilty. Could be safety switch (side stand, clutch lever), the start button itself, the start relay and the solenoid relay.
    I'd start with a clean spray on the switches.