Problem refitting petrol tank 955i 2001

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crystaljohn, Dec 30, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crystaljohn

crystaljohn New Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I removed the petrol tank on my 955i 2001 model and despite spending several hours I can't get it to sit in the position so as I can refit the front fixing bolt. The tank appears to need to go backwards about another 10mm to get the front fixing bolt and it's hole correctly aligned. I have tried adjusting the position of the fuel lines but I can't work out what is preventing the tank from moving backwards sufficiently to enable refitting correctly. It seems that the rear of the tank is hitting the frame so it can't move anymore backwards.

Is there a special technique involved to enable the correct refitting?

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I know it's not triumph related but I had a simiar issue with my Superduke... There was a mod to open the fixing holes on the original brackets.
    You tried brute force and ignorance?

3. crystaljohn

crystaljohn New Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Screwball. the tank was perfectly positioned and fastened when I removed it, so it must in theory go back that way! I just can't seem to work out what is preventing it from going back. All I did was to remove the air filter and replace it!

4. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Is the tank of the plastic variety??? if so its probably gone out of shape...I had the same issue with my 1999 Tiger, ended up fixing the rear of the tank then levering the front to get the bolt in, bit brutal but it worked..

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Crystaljohn... Strangely that's the same with the superduke... It comes out of the factory with the tank fitted and looking good.. But when you remove it to do work it won't go back.. With the SD as I mentioneds it's a common issue... As a note the SD tank is Plastic as well...

6. crystaljohn

crystaljohn New Member

Dec 30, 2013