765 Problem Downshifting.

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by jte71, Aug 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

I have a brand new Street triple S, and sometimes (today for example) I encounter a probles with downshifting from form example from the 5th gear to the 1st gear. I pull the clutch lever all the way in, step down on the shift lever and the bike doesn't down-shift. I need to slip the clutch lever a bit and pull it all away again to down shift a gear. Not handy when you approach a traffic light.

Anyone experienced the same issue as me?

Kind regards,
    Jurgen

2. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    I'm having clutch issues with my 2018 765R but have not encountered this issue.

Regarding your issue, where is the problem? There are 4 downshifts from 5th to 1st. Can you provide more detail? What gear is it getting stuck in, and at what RPM does this happen?

3. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Today I approached the traffic light with ~55 km/h and tried to downshift from 4 to 1. The downshift from 4 to 3 didn't work so I had to slip the clutch a bit to make it happen. Same for 3 to 2 gear but from 2 to 1 gear it worked as it should work. Next time I will provide more precisely the details.

4. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Jurgen, did you check that the gear selection arm is tight on the spline, I've found mine loose the other day on the Speed, was also experiencing some difficulties with false neutrals and gear grinding on two occasions, upon investigation saw the bolt was loose. Worth a look imo. If not that simple straight back to the dealer mate. Hope you get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    #5 topdec, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    What Angus said ^. If the gearshift linkage arm is not loose, then bring it to the dealership as they might need to reposition the arm so the shift rod is able to push it enough to effectively move down the gears.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Are you trying to shift from 5th or 4th down to 1st in one go, I mean pull the clutch once and hit the shift lever 4 times? If so I think that may be the issue. Bike gearboxes don’t really like doing that, they need shifting one at a time to go in smoothly, preferably with a blip of the throttle to match the revs for the next lower gear.
    Making sure the lever is adjusted to suit you and is tight on the shaft as well as proper adjustment of the clutch lever will help, as will having the correct drive chain tension. Too much chain tension puts a lot of strain on the gearbox sprocket which hinders smooth gear shifting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Back to dealer with a brand new bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Agree if it turns out to be a technical issue but re reading his last post he is in 4th gear at 55kph(34mph?) so it may be technique rather than technical.

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Possibly clutch adjustment or loose lever? I wouldnt touch it, not on a new bike.If it is technique the dealer may give him a few tips.:) Thats your depreciation money right there.

10. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thank you all for the reply's. I think it's wise to make an appointment with my dealer. I will share the outcome of it.

Kind regards

• Like Like x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Angus, I checked the gear election arm and it is tight to the spline. I'm going back to the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Yorkshireman, I'm 47, obtained my driver licence 2 month's ago so every time I drive my bike I learn. So if you have some tips, please feel free to share them with me.

Kind regards.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Ah, congrats on getting your licence and I welcome your philosophy of learning every time you ride the bike, something more of us ought to subscribe to.
    The best way of shifting gears is to take them one at a time like I said above. So for example if you are in 4th gear and you are coming to a halt at a junction where you know you will be stopping and need 1st gear again to set off then at a reasonable distance away pull the clutch, tap the gear down and at the same time blip the throttle slightly to match the revs to the lower gear. Repeat for the change to second gear and you should be ok to stop in that gear. Obviously while you are stopped drop it into 1st which should go smoothly without blipping the throttle. It’s all a matter of practice and the whole operation of clutch, gear, throttle blip should be done as close together as possible. The whole idea is to not let the engine revs drop away because if you do then the gear will engage with a bang and if you then release the clutch without matching the engine revs to the required level for the lower gear you risk the rear wheel losing grip and increasing the potential for an accident.

Hopefully this little vid can help, I hope I haven’t made it too complicated, ride safe my friend.

14. Greg Fyans

Greg Fyans Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    I don't blip the throttle when downshifting. Do we really need to? The 765 handles it just fine.

15. topdec

topdec Member

May 30, 2018
    Farmington Minnesota
    Just my two cents...

Blipping is a great advance technique. I always find myself doing it. It’s more tricky with the 765 as I have to get a feel of the slipper so my left hand is in sync with it.

Having said this, less blipping is necessary if you wait for the rpm to come down before downshifting. This is the case when you’re just coming to a stop vs trying to setup your speed for the next corner. I learned the hard way during a track day that downshifting while the rpm is too high can result in a rear wheel lockup even when I was blipping.

Please take care when learning to blip. Fully close the throttle before re-engaging the clutch in-between downshifts.

I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Not necessarily an advanced technique I think but essential if you are going to get a smooth downshift (unless you have an autoblipper as part of a quick shifter).
    With practice you can “sustain” the revs and downshift twice or even three times just hold the revs where they were and tap the gears down. *Dont try this yet jte71, get the basics first ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stu Rimmer

Stu Rimmer New Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Derby
    I've had exactly the same problem with my RS Street - bought new a month ago.

18. Stu Rimmer

Stu Rimmer New Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Derby
    I've had exactly the same problem with my RS Street - bought new a month ago

19. jte71

jte71 New Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi Stu

That's sad to hear. Just got back from vacation and will contact my dealer soon.

Kind regards,

20. stikflote

stikflote New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Derbyshire
    You cant go from 5gear to 1st gear you have to shift one at a time,
    an blip the throttle