Pressure Washer Info?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tigcraft, Nov 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    So, my old (13yr old) lidl cold water pressure washer needs a repair but it’s not cost effective. It’s a Lavor, it’s Italian and it suprised me no end as the quality was far better than expected.
    So being tight and an older Yorkshire child I’ve been looking and looking and spotted a ‘Hot water’ compact pressure washer at handy money new, another Lavor , 1104 current model @ £550. C9A89630-DF2D-439D-A429-3324B5D950C6.png Now that’s not quite what I was going to spend but as it’s a hot washer it’s got me thinking. It’s not a karcher nor karcher money. Then there’s a Clarke B4A80300-AD35-45F5-9376-6FA831B13A7C.png at about £800 which just looks like a brother to this... 7E6D2560-04C3-4A5F-942E-D27F1B3DB650.png a lavor 1104 Rio also at around £550 but it was the predessessor to the first one above.

Anyone got one or tried one to see what they are like? They run at 80c at the burner point not like full size ones which are double the heat and quadruple the price but IMO they may be just the job for grubby oily bikes.....

2. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Using hot water leaves it dry quicker but your not wrong Jez

3. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Good advert HT!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's a lot for a Yorkshire man to spend! :D
    Isn't it better to wash with cold water (in winter) anyway? The hot water dissolves the road salt crystals so they get into parts of the bike they wouldn't otherwise do. :mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The pressure washer is a pretty dumb animal. For less additional cost and impeccable reliability you could fit a dishwasher/washing machine spur and feed your cheap ‘cold’ jet washer from the DHW on those occasions you want hot water......or get clever with a blending valve for temp control.

Thinking about it, if you feed from an outside tap, you could internally create a selective hot/cold/temp regulated supply to the tap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @steve lovatt i have more than one use for it not just the bike.
    @Callumity interesting, but it needs to stay mobile as it’s like having a coal fire piped into a Range Rover in the drive way. Heh heh heh

7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Thought your panzer has its own praktikal cleaning power/water take off like it carry’s compressed air??

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Pressure washers are great but best for ‘gross decontamination’ so detail washing can take place grit free and largely salt free. Maybe it’s me but I find:

Light soak overall (low setting)
    Power rinse
    Warm hand wash
    Power rinse

gives the best results for least total effort. I am not into concours d’elegance sh1t!

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Cold water washers do Not like being fed with warm / hot water, check your literature, the cold water is generally used to cool the pump & motor whilst its running / idling depending on the type of machine. Most have plastic valves & guides which don't do well in hot water ( sticking & seizing ) and pressure control parts.

Draining down after use is a really good idea, run it dry for a few seconds to clear the pump, at this time of year especially !!

Plastic hoses kink easily and wear through faster than reinforced rubber ones and none of them like being run over as it puts a sharp corner in the reinforcing braid causing a weak point prone to failure.

I personally don't like using pressure washers on bikes too many exposed seals etc, ok for washing off wheels but would keep it away from bearings and chains and most of all electrics none of which do well on high pressure water.

Having worked for KEW ( now nilfisk / alto ), Karcher & Gerni / Wap over the years was an education. Some machines do well on pressure fed systems ( mains pressure from the cold tap ) others run better on a gravity feed from a barrel.

Have a good read at what the manufacturer says they are not all the same.

Good Luck

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Comes as standard on the "Blitzkrieg Pack" :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I've had several different brands and models imho any nilfisk washer is ideal,even the basic models from machine mart has a metal pump and lasts for years,better than all the brands I've used before inc karcher/halfords/bosch etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    So, as you’ve got a background in that field how do you rate lavor as a brand and what’s the most common breakdowns on various types?

13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    There are so many different models and standards of machine made by the manufacturers now that the only way now is to research the exact model & specs of the machines you are interested in as they vary so much even within the same model numbers.
    Even detail changes in models can have significant effects on performance and lifespan in the domestic market, many of these models are built to last a set number of running hours, with some being as short as 40.
    So no reccomendations in this particular minefield, I specifically made only general comments in my original post for this exact reason.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Very fair observation. I suspect Karcher are trading on a reputation built 15 yrs ago.......
    As to my ‘hot’ post I am guilty of forgetting my own DHW is already anti-scald and entirely accept your comments about hot plastic!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    £2.00 at Sainburys pressure wash every so often whether it needs it or not ( it always does) and again before MOT time because where I live the farmers spread muck year round and I would rather ride than clean as anyone who has seen my Trophy will know.

• Like Like x 2