Preload 2016 Speed Triple R

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by bob1, Apr 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    took my 2016 speed triple r out for its first proper ride today rear suspension way to hard when you start getting a bit of speed up unless the road is like a billiard table my ass is getting fired out of the seat all the time. got back home got the manual out thought Id try a few adjustments. the manual states the preload is not rider adjustable I'm going to adjust it anyway I just wondered why triumph would say this. the previous owner might have adjusted it but with out any reference in the manual I cant put it back to standard.

2. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    Triumph say that on all the 955 Daytonas and Speed Triples too. Daft.

3. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    thanks when you say damping do you mean rebound or compression or both sorry when it comes to suspension its all a bit of a dark art to me

4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I adjusted mine, think the warning is just arse covering by Triumph

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe

Dave Moss gives a brilliant class on setting suspension

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Pre load is how compressed the spring is

Compression is how firm the suspension compresses when hitting a bump

Rebound is how fast it returns to its unsprung position

7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I have softened the spring pre load bump and rebound on my 16 as at 12 n half stone i found it to hard, i also dropped the legs through the yokes.

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I am 16st (all muscle o_O) and in full leathers the suspension at the front is too soft - I have a zip tie on the front and it bottoms out each ride on the road with preload almost at maximum

The front springs are 9 N/mm and using an online calculator for my weight and bike weight I should have 10 N/mm fitted

http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php

upload_2018-4-19_10-25-45.png

Weight with gear value = me plus leathers, helmet etc
    Bike weight is dry weight plus an estimate for oil, coolant, and fuel etc.- plus any baggage

1 kg/mm = 10 N/mm

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Red Thunder, you could add length to the spacers inside your fork tubes, I'd start by adding approximately 1/4 of the spring travel, would that be about 4 inches or 100 mm ? So about an inch or more , I added 35 mm to my standard springs on my initial setup adjustment on my America, but it didn't cure the damping issues. So I bought emulation system with 11 N/mm springs for my 95kg weight, plenty stiff enough now and I have lowered the front about 20/25 mm , sharper steering gained as well ! I tow a trailer which fully loaded weighs as much as 200 kg. So I need a good stiff front end for good control whilst braking ! I also put tapered roller head stem bearings in for same reason !!
    Hope that is of some help.

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm running the "comfort" damper settings, but I've also reduced tyre pressures to 32psi front / 36psi rear. Advice from other threads on here suggest "standard" tyre pressures are too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Having shed about a stone in weight recently I’ve put the damping back to factory settings after I’d increased all round by plus one turn and have just come back from 120 miles around Derbyshire’s finest twisties and I think it’s better than before.
    How do you find the bike with 36psi in the back tyre Col, i run with 38 in the back and 32 in the front?
    That’s on Roadtec 01’s.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Checked my pressure today's and it was way up compared to a few weeks ago
    Front was 42 now 34 and return was 50 now 42. Maybe the hot weather had greatly increased it.
    Also increased preload in the front by one turn to reduce sag to 40mm, as it was still bottoming out each day (cable tie method)
    I may have to increase compression too but that would really form up the ride, I really need heavier springs in

13. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    Hi Red Thunder,

I use the zip tie indicator as well. I had to soften my fork to get closer to the bottom. Now I have about 15mm of safety buffer that I never seemed to hit so far.
    For the fun, I build up a small suspension preload calculator for the speed triple see attached file.
    It isn't refined to the point to take your own weight in consideration, but if you have a buddy to help you with the tape measure, you can dial things in;

Speed triple 2016+ R,S and RS calculator

cheers,

Rémi

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    That sir, is a fantastic suspension calculator.
    I will have to try this out with my bike...I am sure I need to increase my springs from the standard 9n/mm to 10n/mm

15. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    You're welcome!

16. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    Speed Triple R springs are 0.5 N/mm stiffer than on the standard Speed triple.