pre unit 1961 triumph trophy 650

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bhf, Dec 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bhf

bhf New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    coventry
    Hi I am new to the forum, Iam having a problem with the kick start. I have replaced the shaft and the quadrant and I cant get it set up right. Would be grateful for any advice
    Thanks Baz

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Aahh .... the kick start .... sigh! Such beauty! Such simplicity! So easy to use! Such a useful piece of fitness training equipment when attached to a reluctant engine. Such a bastid when the aforementioned engine kicks back and it breaks your ankle!!:oops::eek:
    Welcome, bhf, to the madness which is thetriumphforum!
    Someone, somewhere within these hallowed portals will no doubt be able to help you. Sadly not I!:(
    Many will not even recognise the concept of the kick starter.:confused: Others will bear (correct spelling - but I had to look it up!) the scars of their encounters with them! Me? Just another fond memory of a misspent youth! :)
    Best of luck with it!

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Way back in 76 I changed one on a starfire 250, in 78 I did it on a bonnie when the teeth sheared off the quadrant. I cannot recall anything hard about the job, in fact it must have been easy coz I recall using a big lantern type torch to do it in my dark garage. Maybe the trophy is different, I dont know but i would expect it to be like the bonnie tbh. What exactly is the problem, have you perhaps put the return spring in wrong?? Sorry but its been so long ago and many alcohol fuelled sessions since. Good luck tho, I am sure someone in here can help you will sort it

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Hope you can get the help you need on here.
    My Enfield Trials is kick start only (despite being a modern one) but I've no idea how it's set up or whether that would even help you - sorry.

5. mikep

mikep New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Hi, I had same bike way back in early sixties, I have the manual somewhere in loft, will find it and see if there is relevant info to help you out, Cheers

6. mikep

mikep New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    OK, instruction manual No. 17, for engine no 0945 and D 101 onwards 1956 to 1962 inclusive. looks like the kickstart return spring and spindle requires the spring to be engage in the correct spline - there are diagrams, please advise how to get info. to you.

7. bhf

bhf New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    coventry

8. bhf

bhf New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    coventry
    Hi thanks for your reply
    Hi sorry I messed up when I tried to reply to you earlier lets hope I do it right this time. If you can email them to me that would be great, if not I can send you my address I would pay for any charges you might incur. If you could let me know which one is suitable for you I will send the info. Thank you for your help its much appreciated. cheers Baz

9. mikep

mikep New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Can scan relative pages and email, it will be quicker, advise email add, Cheers

10. bhf

bhf New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    coventry
  11. mikep

mikep New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Hope the info provided is useful...Best of luck

12. bhf

bhf New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    coventry
    Hi Mike thanks for the diagrams you emailed. I am sure they are going to help, will be having another go at the weekend and let you know how I get on. I will be happy to send you a picture when its finished though it may take a while few more jobs to be done after the kick start, as regards the reg no its not the same one. I'd like to thank you again and everyone who tried to help. Great Forum
    cheers Baz