Post-battery Replacement Tasks?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bill Parker, Aug 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Parker

Bill Parker New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    France
    I needed to disconnect the battery on my 2017 Thruxton R, to work on it.

It's all back together, but do I need to do anything like reset the ECU or whatever?

Reason I ask, is that I have to do this on my wife's Mazda MX-5 and my BMW diesel needs a full computery workout by the dealer before it'll come out to play when I change the batteries... so I'm wondering if the electronic wonder that is my bikes' brain needs any special tender care post-powercut?

Many thanks!

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Strange one i have no heard of cars needing any kind of reset after disconcerting/reconnecting the battery....all i can think of its just another way of generating revenue for the main dealers.:(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill Parker

Bill Parker New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    France
    On the MX-5, I have to swing the steering wheel from full left to right lock and back again a few times, to get a warning light off on the dash. Haven't done it for a few years, so can't remember full details. :-(

p.s bike started OK and sounds OK, so mebbe I'll risk a ride - it's been in storage 2 years so about time it got a workout. Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    That's very weird! anyway glad the bike started OK enjoy the ride....and welcome to the forum.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    not sure if it has a date thingie you can set?

6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Aye there is also one that carries it's own 9v battery just to keep a power to the units while the battery is replaced made by Draper I have some that are 20 years old and still I use them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-C...1705XWCQVG5&psc=1&refRID=G06RQHD8W1705XWCQVG5

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bill Parker

Bill Parker New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    France
    Ooh, that's clever/simple. I wonder if an Optimate would serve the same purpose (the Trumpet has a cable specifically for my Optimate)? I also have a Suaoki battery back I used when I had to leave my old Beemer bike at Stansted long-stay for weeks at a time... worked very well, might work here as well. Ta.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    You will never loose any information/programing from an ECU by removing power in fact to the contrary as cutting power will remove the short term timing and fueling/idle maps (on some ECUs) which can be good especially if you have been using crap fuel or even just want to get it to relearn idle or clear a low rev stumble.
    As for radio codes etc haven't they sorted that in this day and age its something we used to worry about in the 90s.;)