Possibly Dead Battery Eml On

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave Kimber, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Kimber

Dave Kimber Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Bridgwater Somerset
    Haven’t ridden my sprint for 2 weeks after a 4 hour ride.

Went to start her yesterday dash lights come on no noise from petrol pump when I pressed start button all dash lights go out and nothing.

Put battery on charge for a few hours and tried again bike started sounded lumpy and engine light stayed on

Turn her off went to restart and again nothing.

Took battery off of the bike and put it on charge over night took it to Halfords who tested it and the read out said battery at 89% charge no dead cells

Got home this evening refitted battery nothing cleaned all the contact points and retried nothing.

Put it on charge again 2 hours later tried and she started very rough engine light on and smelling of unburnt fuel

It’s got a ytx12bs battery looks quite old so will get a new one but when I type in my reg number it comes back with ytx14bs ?

Will this make any difference?
    And will the engine light go out or do I need to plug in tune Ecu to clear it ?

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    The 14 has more kick to it for easier starts.
    I would guess the light will go out after 3 start cycles but someone more in the know will be here soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    What he says! New batt, 3 cycles( no tandems or trikes) and job should be a good un. We hope!!
    Just make sure the battery is out in charge when you get home for a proper amount of time not just a couple of hours!
    And if you haven’t got your discount card you could have saved around 25% at Halfords

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Ytx12 and 14 have different sizes usually,so make sure, sometimes it is just a height difference, check on Tayna Batteries site.