Possible To Negotiate On New Bike At Dealers?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MikeyBobBlack, Feb 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    Hi all,

I've not bought a new bike before but plan to buy the new Bobber Black. I have 7k cash and plan to finance the remaining balance to include a few upgrade options.

I assume it's possible to negotiate a discount when buying a new bike but ahead of trying thought i'd see if anyone here has first hand experience they can share?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    I bought my Daytona new.Dealer threw the Arrow exhaust in plus the usual free tax and rac cover...traded it in for the Thurxton R but as they were all on back order they wouldn't do any exhaust etc back then. Got an increase in the part ex offer though and the same tax and RAC plus 2 free services.

3. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Probably this is the best time of year to twist a "Stealers" arm, as they can't sell feck all due to the weather. Just let them make the offer, but don't accept the first deal, walk away if necessary. Had them ring me back with a better deal.
    Cash doesn't always talk at "stealers", they make more money on finance / PCP..... be lucky!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You will always get the best deal available for the bike sitting in the showroom as opposed to the one in the brochure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Last year my Triumph dealer couldn’t see his desk for the paperwork of new bikes waiting to go out on March 1st! Agree with DD, you may have missed the “sweet spot” around Christmas but a deal can still be done, and what’s a deal to one man is a rip off to another. You just have to be happy that you’ve got what’s right for your finances. If you have more than one dealer in striking distance that has the bike you want you may be able to play one against the other but don’t expect too much, as has been said they make more money selling finance. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    I called a few dealers today and was told flat that they won’t deal on the list price because they have zero issue in selling them and as soon as they hit the roads last year they were on back order for months.

I spoke directly with the dealership down the road from me who confirmed the same but they said that if I order the bike now they will give me 20% off of upgrades and free fitting... a good deal so I thought so I put my deposit down. The bike should arrive by the end of March! :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Hope they are not Thruxton's. With the weather the way it is, after the journey home, the engine cases will need polishing, the spokes will be rusty, the ABS disc will be furry................................................................
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Last year my BIL bought a new Thruxton for less than he could buy a year old second hand one. He didn't even have to haggle, he used the internet. He new exactly what he wanted, a Thruxton, and simply searched on-line.

He found a dealer somewhere near Manchester with one in stock brand new and unregistered that they obviously needed to sell who were offering it at a fantastic price. He emailed and rang them and did the deal over the phone.

I said earlier he didn't haggle but he did a bit, he said he'd buy it if they delivered it for free to Mansfield and they agreed. It turned up in a van mid Feb registered for the 1st of March.

He's not a big techie and doesn't normally buy anything on-line let alone a bike but even he found it a simple painless process and was highly delighted with the service, and the bike, that he received.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

Is there a bike version of carwow.com?
    I saved something like £6k on my Sorento last year with this and bought it locally.

10. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I have no idea but it's a bloody good question!

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Triumph dealers are more likely to offer discounts on clothing and equipment rather than the bike

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah that's true - their clothing prices are high enough to begin with! :confused:

13. MikeyBobBlack

MikeyBobBlack Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Kent
    The sale on clothing at my local dealers is actually pretty decent... I saved £125 on a new leather jacket :)