Pops And Flames Bad For The Engine?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jesper Nordling, Aug 9, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jesper Nordling

Jesper Nordling New Member

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Hi,

Story:
    My baby is a fully serviced 2006 sp3 1050 (32000 km) with a stock exhaust and aftermarket silencers with the SAI enabled.

When I first got the bike it shot flames and popped upon deacceleration A LOT, like every time.
    After working with the bike and eventually getting my hands on the TuneEcu software I saw that a map with aftermarket silencers with the SAI disabled was loaded in the ECM. I quickly changed the map to the appropriate one with aftermarket silcencers and SAI enabled and the flames and pops was completely gone.

The bike ran great with the "incorrect" map and ran no different with the "correct" map. The only diff was the flames and pops.

Now to the question:
    Could the "pops and flames" map damage the bike in any way long term? From my understanding it's simply the SAI doing its job burning off the excess fuel in the exhaust. Maybe it could damage the front CAT? Could that make the run worse?

2. Jesper Nordling

Jesper Nordling New Member

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    Surprised I've have zero replies to this

3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I like pops and flames so would have left it as was :yum

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Depends what you mean by could it damage the front CAT, best thing for it is the bin anyway :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Pop's and flames coming out of the Exhaust What is there to be damaged in an empty steel tube ???

The only visible effects of this might be more pronounced discolouration of the header pipes where they bend coming out of the cylinders ??

That just proves use !

• Like Like x 1