popping and banging on over run...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by stu3y, Oct 2, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stu3y

stu3y New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    teesside
    I see alot of people with after market exhausts say their bikes pop and bang like mad... ive just bought a speed triple and ive not once heard any banging and popping from the exhaust... each to their own but i quite like it when they pop and burble on over run.. any ideas why this one dosent?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You don't give much info about your bike so it's difficult to say, but my guess would be that a previous owner removed the AI system - which is the usual cause for noise on over-run.

3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    As big lad said.
    Popping can be achieved if you've a loose header or a minute rust pinhole on old exhausts coming near from the start of the down pipes.

4. stu3y

stu3y New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    teesside
    ive just checked the AI system its all in tack, no blank plates, solenoid still plugged in etc, i unplugged the solenoid and tried it, it pops and bangs like a good'un, but obv no good as it makes the engine management light come on.

bike is a 2005 model, has an aftermarket single 3-1 can and pipercross filter

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Look at tuneecu download for your model, if there, and you have the ability to "turn off" AI which will sort your eml. You're not reloading your map just unticking a box.

6. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Essex
    mines sounds like WW2 :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's because if you unplug the solenoid, the AI is fully open, permanently!

The solenoid works by voltage from the ECU closing (rather than opening) it, when not required - which is a large portion of riding conditions.

8. stu3y

stu3y New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    teesside
    will it have any bad effects having the solenoid permanently open?

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well it's not designed to work that way so there's a danger it will overheat the headers and it might affect the fuelling trims managed by the O² sensors.

Basically it's not good.

10. stu3y

stu3y New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    teesside

what have you done for it to be like that?
    mile dosent make even the slightest pop with the sai plugged in

11. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    I've just collected a 2015 1,725m Speed Triple R with the Arrow high cans & the bike pops & gargles on over run all the time - I assume this is normal with Arrow cans?

12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome Dickie.
    Yep, perfectly normal. Most like it (me included), a few find it irritating.
    Likely yours has been dealer fitted, but might be worth just checking with your dealer that the map has been changed to suit.

13. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Thanks Col, I'll do that.
    I was intending to email them anyway - the bike has come with two Triumph Diagnostic Tool - Autoscan Reports, one at 1 mile & one at 426 miles, & both say 'Fail' Throttles unbalanced - to ask if they were balanced after the report.

14. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The burbling/popping is caused by SAI (secondary air injection), which I believe is there to remove unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases. If the sound annoys it can be stopped by disabling the SAI valve (and blocking the hose).

15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    The poping and banging as you call it is to do with left over gasses being burned off , bit like when you eat beans :D:D

16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    My t bird used to do it when i first got her, i found out after a strip it was caused by a diaphragm in the carb having a hole. I replaced it and it never done it again, like you i liked the burble and popping .

17. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    I fancy a Speed Triple but not the pop & bang, do they do it in standard trim?

18. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    I fancy a Speed Triple but not the pop & bang, do they do it in standard trim?

19. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Me too . pen does it all the time . its only burning off excess fuel. Love it

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes it’s the SAI system injecting air into the exhaust to burn any unburnt fuel before it gets to the cat.
    It can be disabled with Tunecu and blanking the SAI valves on top of the cylinder head, no more poppy bangy :eek: