Poppies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DCS222, Oct 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Just been reading about colored poppies... red, white and purple!

I’ll be wearing red, but I understand folk’s reasons for wearing the others... I’m just interested in what kind kind of response they ignite; how many folk that feel a slightly different message needs to be heard; if people feel there is a bit of poppy fascism developing; anyone’s opinions etc.
    Senisible discussion please; by all means express your passion, but not getting personal or obstructively offensive, ta...

68EADBDA-184A-4E1C-BD1C-A8D7618181E6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Red Poppies grew on the battlefield, as far as I'm concerned poppies are RED for that reason as DD said, If you dont want to wear a RED poppy then dont bother !!

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Red poppies for me all the way.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

The way I see it is 11/11/1918 was when the fighting in ww1 ceased. The men who fought to keep this country and the world from tyranny were remembered on that day ever since. A red poppy is a symbol of gratitude for all those who gave service, died or were wounded for me. I will remember them.
    The white poppy is a symbol of pafficism, a call to end all war and to remember all who die and suffer in wars. Surely this should be everybody in “civilisations” aim, desire and point of remeberance daily... all global politicians should be aware of this as part of their responsibility to whom they serve. (Not saying they should shy away from fighting where necessary though) but to me, this in no way should detract from remembrance on the anniversary of the armistice.
    Purple poppies for animals... hmmm, yeah ok, if you want, but again I won’t as I feel it detracts from what I want to remember.
    The black poppy appears to have a couple of diffent meanings, both of which, to me , are redundant if the red poppy is a symbol used correctly... it’s not a symbol of nationalism, it doesn’t glorify war, it’s a simple act of remembrance and gratitude, regardless of color, creed or gender, that when they were needed, they were there for us.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    IMHO people should stop messing about with the Red poppy, why can't people just recognise that somethings are not open for debate; the Red poppy represent something so important that changing it is just not on.........
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I wear one of the metal "badge" type poppies - though I usually buy one of the paper ones as well for the fundraising aspect of their use - so it's red for me.

I have to agree that the redpoppy as a generic symbol of remembrance should be sufficient to cover all of the potential memorial needs.

Regards,

Adie

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Red poppy - stop feckin' about! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    How about wearing a green one? To commemorate all the plants and wildlife that were destroyed during the fighting, and to make sure that people still pay attention to me, because even though it's about commemorating the fallen, it's also about me.

Red one for me please. Can see the point of a purple one, but other than that it's a call for attention as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've got a few of the metal ones, and usually buy a bunch of paper ones every year cuz I keep losing them. I also buy a couple of plastic ones to cable tie to the front of my bikes. It annoys me when I see cars and lorries still displaying the same plastic poppy they bought years ago, by now more road-dirt brown than red..

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. David Cooper

Subscriber

If you are are ex service's you can get one with your regiments badge, this is the one I wear alongside a paper poppy every year.

s-l1000.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Its going to be Rainbow Poppies for differently gendered next.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I like that. I wear a metal poppy on various jackets alongside the regimental pin badges of my Granddad's regiment (Cameronians) and the Northamptonshires in which served many relatives.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    Red poppy if you choose to wear one, any other colour is worn for a different reason and has no place alongside a red one. Everyone entitled to opinion and free speech etc. however very disrespectful to deviate from red, IMO.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. David Cooper

Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
  17. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You know it doesn't really matter does it. As long as you remember and put your hands in your pockets and remember. The fields of the world were once stained in the blood of our brothers and sisters. White Black Brown Red colour does not even count were all these Hero's stood together hand in hand and gave their lives that we could stand free and do the things we do. It troubles me sometimes and I wonder how many great people that laid down the lives. Maybe they would have changed our world or been great leaders had families rode Triumphs but without question they fought together so we could do these thing. You know it brings a tear to my eyes sometimes. I'm sure most of us have been to France Belgium and the others and with tears in our eyes walked along those white stones and read the names of our brothers till we could not bear it any more. Our families or saviour's. And some of us think we owe nothing. I am of on one again but this time I won't apologize as I think I owe it to them and from my heart I thank them for the wonderful free life I have lead to now dear God look after them.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I agree with every word Joe this is why one poppy is enough.

Ps Can I add we should remember before we enter a conflict, Afganistan Iraq Syria.

We shall remember.

• Like Like x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #14 joe mc donald, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Sprinter.
    And yes you are right. Any conflict where people laid there life's on the line we must never for get the sacrifice and the other services the similarly did the same. Walk onto and troubled zone and say why are you trusting him he's a Catholic Protestant Muslim Chink Indian they would tell no he's my Brother.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  20. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    God forbid that that day never comes again. And then I can keep my Boys at home and love them not bury them. Then in some small way the sacrifice made by others will be in a small way easier to understand.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. Chris V

Chris V New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Red all day for me, the wife's ex army got the scars to prove it too. I have nothing but respect for those who have served and died for the freedoms we all take for granted. I can't stand these snowflakes all moaning and complaining though. But I do have to say our valued young service people should only be sent to war were it genuinely affects us. Please don't waste their lives policing problems around the world when the people there won't or are too corrupt to do it themselves.
    Every soldier prepares for war but hopes for peace.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Chris V

Chris V New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Yep

• Like Like x 1
  23. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #17 Biker Jock, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    I've never been tested, thank goodness, so wear a red poppy with humility and gratitude, but not pride. I probably would also wear a white one for peace, but have never seen them on offer. There's an old chap in the village, who remembers a gentle giant of a horse, called Depper, that was one of very few war horses to return home (survivors were mostly slaughtered for meat). He has such affection for the memory of Depper, that a purple poppy wouldn't be amiss too.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    We got them too on the lampposts with a laminated poster underneath naming soldiers who were local to the area, some are outside the houses they or their parents lived in. Nice touch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Red for me all the way.
    Remembering all those brave souls who gave their lives for our freedom,not just the First World War but all subsequent conflicts.

• Like Like x 6
  26. David Cooper

Subscriber

A lot of people think it's all about remembrance, but it's also about donating money to the charities that still look after our injured and traumatised service personnel today.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3