Poor Use Of The English Language.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerkat, Jan 18, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I've just finished reading the most recent issue of Open Road, the magazine us members of MAG get every couple of months. It's a fine read and just a small bonus for belonging to MAG. If you aren't a member then I honestly don't know why not. If you ride a bike and care about maintaining or improving our biking lives, or care about the future of motorcycling, then you need to stump up your £30. If you do nothing then the changes and restrictions that are being proposed will happen. £5 to park your bike in Hackney (London)? It's coming.
    But I digress. What caught my eye was an editorial on the poor use of English. It's something that annoys me so here comes a short rant...
    The use of 'so' at the beginning of a sentence when it isn't needed (which is most of the time) has now progressed to actually being produced on the written page! People are starting articles or letters with 'so'. I've noticed people doing it on this forum. Why? It's unnecessary and looks even more ridiculous when written down. Stop it.
    Some people have started adding the extra word 'out' when talking about swopping things. I think we all understand what 'swopped' means so why put in another, totally superfluous word? Pointless.
    Why do some people insist on saying 'myself' instead of 'me'? For example: Question "Who farted?". Answer "Myself". The word is 'Me'! The cast of tv programme 'The Apprentice' seem oblivious to the difference.
    Isn't it about time people got their 'of's and 'with's sorted out? I'm fed up WITH people who misuse the English language.
    And finally (you will be relieved to hear) a couple from the editor of MAG, 'I reversed the car backwards' and 'please reply back to this letter' :rolleyes:.
    I know language evolves but there's a distinction between evolution and decay.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    How about the habit of starting a sentence with "Basically" ? I sounds like you are telling the listener, "I"ll make this simple for you because I know you are a bit dumb". ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Which is similar to the use of 'clearly' when replying, much favoured by politicians.
    However, I'm not sure that's a misuse of language. If anything it's used deliberately, as you say, to make the other person appear dumb. But it is irritating, like most politicians.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    So, :joy::joy: don't forget the word LIKE, Jesus Christ can't they string a sentence together without the word LIKE. Agree 100% with your comments about MAG ( being in it that is )

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    #5 Glenn2926, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    My dislike re modern use of the English language is the inability of people to use the words of and have.
    As in I should of. Just how illiterate does one need to be to not know they are not interchangeable.

The use by some people of the word gotten sounds wrong to me too. I’m pretty sure it’s not a real word.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The only word misuse that I find annoying is "like" when used in modern conversation, " and he was like", "and I was like" etc. Other than that I can't really get wound up about grammatical errors, especially on an internet forum. So long as readers get the point of the post is it really that big a deal? Writing a business letter or some form of official report then maybe. What about regional accents and dialects in the written word? Is it really owt to worry abaht? :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Along with ... " Now,look ....... " And most irritating is how well paid these know all pricks are paid to be irritating !

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I was going to click on the "like" emoji but then thought better of it. ;)

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    How about starting off a sentence with "To be honest..." Does that mean you would be lying if you didn't preface your comment that way?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    One thing is for certain, languages evolve. The English language used today is very different to that written and spoken centuries ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Thank christ too, I'd have serious problems understanding that age old lingo. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I am amazed how some people can talk so fast and say so little. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    My current spoken word favourites

1. On answering a direct question…
    “ well I’m not gonna lie, blah blah blah……..”:…
    (often spoken with a Caribbean twang even if the person is not from that part of the world..)

2. Instead of; “ I would like a …..”
    It has become; ” Can I get a…”:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just thought I'd point out that your use of 'so' as in 'So long as readers..', is perfectly correct, as I'm sure you know and isn't what I meant. However, if you had begun with 'so' at the beginning of your post ('So, the only misuse that I find..') then that would be a perfect example of this irritating and unnecessary affectation.
    The misuse of language in this way does more than simply annoy people like me, it also detracts from whatever it is that the writer (or speaker) is trying to say because I'm distracted from the content as I wonder why this person has made this incorrect choice of words. But maybe that's just me ;)
    By the way, nothing at all wrong with regional accents or dialects.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    :joy::joy::scream:
    Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 20.36.28.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Just heard on radio, " Correct me if I'm wrong, but ....... " haha .. I'd like to Mr Politician, but life is too short ! All the mangleism's rife here with our esteemed Prime ??? Minister :poop::poop: resigning/pushed/threatened/or Klaus thinks she hasn't ferked the country enough yet ! Enough "word soup" (there's another) when "lies" stands as more pertinent.

17. CraigHew

CraigHew Member

Jul 25, 2021
    Whitchurch, Shropshire
    I dont really think the correct use of English matters too much.
    This country will be speaking Chinese within 100 years.....

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Somewhere in a sentence ..”But having said that”
    Like they’ve just changed their mind halfway through their statement…:tired_face:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    As sad as it is, I am glad to read this is also happening in other countries. I could make similar remarks about the use of language here in Flanders. Even respected papers and magazines publish articles with huge faults, as if younger reporters can't read or write anymore, or -maybe even worse- as if nobody cares anymore... Sometimes it makes me foam at the mouth, but it happens anyway. And people say: 'as long as you know what I mean, what is the problem?' With this attitude, it will get worse...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. David Caddell

David Caddell New Member

Jun 17, 2022
    Newtownabbey
    And another one, the use of the word so with fun "it was so fun". No it was so much fun! Or so funny. This was on BBC Saturday night on My Jam.

• Like Like x 1