Plastikote

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TonyG, Jul 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I'm sure I saw somewhere online that somebody had sprayed their plastic chrome tail light with matt black plasticote. Anyone tried that, can you just spray onto the plastic chrome finish on the standard rear light?

Thanks

2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Not used it on plastic chrome but on alloy cylinders,cylinder heads and mild steel 2 stroke expansion chambers.

It worked well on those so long as they’re clean and dry, as with most paint jobs prep work is critical.

Have you looked on YouTube.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I would say you need to scotch pad the chrome first, then apply primer before colour. I image the paint straight onto plastic chrome will just peel pretty soon.

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Isn't plasticote just a soft ish plasticized spray paint (never used it) but have done lots of paintwork, but from what i have read you can just spray it on after de-greasing the item, its not very durable should the item get knocked etc,
    Really cant see how you would ever spray heads or exhaust with it.

5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks for the replies.

I think it is a rubberised coating and it seems you don't have rough the surface like you wold do with paint. You can actually peel it off a later date. Would never use it on anything that got hot or needed to be durable, but the chrome rear light housing on my Bonnie is unlikely to be exposed to anything other than a wipe with a rag. I have black indicators and would prefer to have the light black as well, plus not being chrome it won't look quite so much like a large carbuncle.

Cheers

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I’ve never used Plasticote products, do you mean Plastikote.
    Further to my previous post if you are referring to Plastikote it isn’t softish or a rubberised coating and the high heat or BBQ paint is a VHT paint so ideal for high temp applications.
    It’s well used in the renovation of classic bikes especially 2 strokes and especially on cylinders, heads, engineside cases and exhausts.
    I’ve been using Plastikote for years with no ill effects.

Below are a pair of cylinders and cylinder heads which I’ve recently painted and are awaiting fitting to my 1978 Yamaha RD250 ‘D’.
    The colour and shade is near perfect to the original spec.

8F5EBB8E-BA50-4656-BDBE-F619599053D9.jpeg

B1C276CA-019D-4AE8-865C-8F5CA736B09B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    oops, I meant plastidip!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

I knew what you meant, brands have changed these days, if VHT had been mentioned i would have known straight away it was for heads and exhausts LOL!