Plastics Repairs ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MrOrange, Oct 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Tab broke off the rear fairing on my Tuono. Lost rear lens but somehow the light fitting stayed attached just by the wires !!!!

Got a pair of new lenses from Aprilia Spares site, but need to repair the tab. Rear fairing not easy to remove, so repair in situ would be better, but might have to take it fully off.

Any suggestions ???

IMG_20191022_115328.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Have a look at bondic ultra violet plastic repair on YouTube :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Never heard of the baking soda trick, but just googled and it seems to be a 'thing' !!! Will give it a try.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

So went with the two part gorilla epoxy, I keep this in stock, as it will sit on the shelf opened for a year without going 'off'.

IMG_20191024_105909.jpg
    Made a little strip of Ali to strength it and provide a greater area to grip. The spring clip held it nicely in place on the tab.
    IMG_20191024_105913.jpg

Held in place with a bit of tape whilst it sets.
    IMG_20191024_110132.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    @MrOrange thanks for starting this thread , @Dozers Dad thanks for the Super Glue & Baking Soda tip , @dilligaf also thanks for the plastic welding !

Well reading this Post in Triumph forum helped so much ! Got my panels fixed for $26 super glue and $1:25 baking soda ! Would have been very expensive to repair and impossible to find/buy a replacement .

And the repair took 10 minutes and was ready to put back on the bike instantly.

A happy outcome for an Antipodean in WA , Australia really appreciates you all :)

• Like Like x 9
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Used to do it for a living !!!

When studying for my Engineering Degree and when I was made redundant (5 times), I used to fall back on floor laying. I was a dab-hand at welding polyflor'ing. Next time your in a pub, look behind the bar or in corridors & toilets, and you'll see plastic flooring with spec's of metal embedded. That is polyflor. I could cut and weld a very nice mitred corner, back in the day. If you remember Maplins - we did a load of their big stores in Polyflor, and fitted their carpets too. Had their name running through the carpet, cost a fortune.

[​IMG]

Not my own work, but to give you an idea of what we did. All the corners are radius'ed, so you can easy mop the area with no sharp corners to hold the water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    As a clean freak I can appreciate that work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Melmik

Melmik Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Taunton
    I used to repair any broken plastic with a soldering iron and a plastic coat hanger. Melt them back together then reinforced it with shavings from the hanger. It was an older winter hack bike though but did the job and with a bit of time looked ok.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Did look to do similar on mine, but I had no room to allow a build up of plastic on either side. Front had to allow the lens to sit flush and inside the metal clip was just at the break.

Have done similar to what you suggest on a car grille, after a pheasant strike.

• Like Like x 1