Plastic melted onto Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Monkeyjoe, Oct 4, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Ok, took the Bonnie out for a wee spin this afternoon, after an hour starts raining so I head home and park the bike outside the house, I loosely cover the top of it with my Oxford bike cover so stop it getting wetter till the shower is over, unknown to me the outside plastic side of the cover is touching the exhaust, the result is it has melted onto the exhaust :frown: (pic below) .... any idea what I should use to remove the melted plastic from my exhaust? Any help/advice much appreciated...

exhaust.jpg

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    If it was mine then I'd use a hot air gun to re melt the plastic, possibly wipe it with a partly oil soaked rag (cotton) till it's removed then Finish off with traditional ammonia base T cut.

• Like Like x 1
  3. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    I had a similar experience yesterday.. but mine was caused by cat jumping into garage, landing on exercise ball and exercise ball falling onto hot exhaust! Will try your suggestions Tigcraft but any more ideas will be gratefully received too :)
    Damaged Triumph exhaust.jpg

Damaged Triumph exhaust.jpg

4. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Cleaned it off today, took around an hour... after googling "plastic melted onto exhaust" lots of people have had similar problems... cleaned mine by soaking the plastic with Acetone soaked in a cloth (don't get it on the paintwork) for a minute or so, and then scraping away at it with a plastic tool for cleaning ovens, and a Stanley blade (very carefully and gently) also sprayed some WD40 and repeated till it came off, basically small bits just break away till it's gone completely :smile: Good luck unionfan!

5. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi all!
    Done exactly the same thing a while ago....put on the cover before the exhaust had cooled down sufficiently and was extremely annoyed with myself that I've done that!!!!:mad:
    I've managed to get rid of it by warming up the exhaust again for about 10 seconds, NO LONGER, which was enough to soften up the mess in order to scrape and wipe it off.
    But the Acetone trick is a good one!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!:upyeah:

6. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Nice one, sounds like your way was easier than mine... I was pretty annoyed with myself also, especially since it left a nice wee hole in my £60 cover (luckily at the bottom ) another lesson learned! :eek: :wink:

7. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Thanks for the great advice folks... used the hot air gun and oily rag option plus some elbow grease and this is the result! Very happy again.

Cleaned Triumph exhaust.jpg

Cleaned Triumph exhaust.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Looking good!!!!!! Well done!!!!!:upyeah:

9. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    humph - not the first bit of advice I wanted to look for as a newbie here- but glad to know i'm not alone !

• Like Like x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    My way is to sharpen up a wood chisel so it's absolutely lethal, then gently scrape off the cold plastic. Finish with a good polish. Sounds scary using a chisel I know but it's really not.

11. simeds

simeds New Member

May 22, 2017
    Bath
    used acetone ( I own plenty of the stuff ) and elbow grease with a bit of scraping with my fingernail and small piece of flat wood- seemed to do the trick

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Harpic Extra Strength. Brush it on, watch the plastic bubble, wipe it off.

13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    yes, works on pipes

14. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    Duct tape is your friend.