Pinlock Earplugs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Mar 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I bought a set of them before Xmas after reading some good reviews from peeps on here (you actually get 2 sizes ) tried the biggest size on first and had to stop as i thought they can't be in right as the wind noise was terrible so fiddled about with them..no difference:(,so tried the smaller pair and still crap..bloody waste of £20:mad:,i should stick with my own instincts in future:rolleyes: if the foam ones are good enough for Marquez & co they are good enough for me..the reason they wear them is there is nothing better.i've also had the made to measure earplugs in the past and they are not as good as the foam ones either
    marks out of 10
    Pinlock 2 :(
    made to measure 7 :(
    foam 9 :):)
    Verdict I'm sticking with the foam ones,put in properly you can't beat them

picture of Pinlock earplugs don't be fooled into buying them
    pin.JPG

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Ta - I will also stick to foam ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Same here, pinlock were useless, back to foam ones.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    Ah but you do get a unique case with a key and card holder!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Most probably called NGK or Champion ;):grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Had a set of Pinlock as a free gift when I bought a new Shoei NXR.

Know wonder they were free, I thought they were crap.

Well at least they cost me nowt

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I got some, they work great! Maybe I’ve got weird shaped ears!

8. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    have a look at reviews on web very near the top was oxfords foam plugs they come in multipacks,i bought no noise plugs but never again £20 and did work fine but no better or worse than foam ones.

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm sticking with foam ones - cheap and cheerful and they work.
    (Loomies even sell them at the counter in case you lose one - I'm good at that!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i buy the foam ones in a box of 200 from wholesalers, so they last me a couple of years,i usually wash them out once and reuse them,but i've noticed if you wash them out more they don't seem to be as easy to roll up into the ear for a good fit
    plgs.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I'm guessing if you have never worn ear plugs before and you use the pin lock ones you will think they are good,but if you try the foam ones you will notice a big difference...anyone want to buy some Pinlock ear plugs:p? they have only been used once so there is only a small amount of earwax on them:poop:..plus they come in a cool box that you can keep your key and credit card in:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Ditto
    I currently have the Howard LaserLite type with the dispenser, but will go to the orange Max ones when these are used up.
    My technique is:
    - role them in your fingers so they are a compressed cylinder shape
    - wet them on your lips
    - slide them into your ear while holding the back of your ear back to open the canal

As they expand they fill the ear canal and block all the loud stuff while allowing sirens and horn noises through

The dispenser is pretty crap though, can take a long time to get an ear plug out - prefer the two in a pack type

13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I found that if you use a pinlock of the right size for the orifice, you could get a real nice squealing sound out of it rather than the usual bass noi......

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.......:scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    You paid £20 for these ... are you really a Scotsman ;):confused::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    shocking statement I'm also true Scotsman and i paid £20 for the no noise plugs(must have been pissed l.o.l.),lost one of them and fook payin another £20

16. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I use the old style yellow EAR plugs, but I modify them.

I drill through the middle and insert a 3/32 rivet into the middle. The reduced cross sectional area makes it fit me better (I guess it's not trying to expand into my ear canal so hard) while the rivet seems to reduce the road noise more than without it. Maybe from filling the hole in the part that isn't in my ear, but maybe to do with resonant frequencies.... Whatever the reason, it seems to work so I'll keep doing it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i know i can't believe it myself :eek:i've been ill ever since:sob:

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    Laserlite reduce sound more than Max ones. We used them both at a previous workplace, and my last stash has nearly run our 6 years later.

Just bought a box of 400 for £20.

19. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I have used foam ones, they work best but i find tend to fall out under my helmet.
    Tried the ear-peace ones similar to the pin lock, in my experienced they reduced noise but specifically not wind noise so for riding they were useless.
    I have the pin lock ones, agreed slightly less effective than foam ones but they stay in so after a period of time they work when the foam would be rattling about my ear and not working.

I guess you could say, foam for best bang for bucks, pin lock for more consistency. I did have to think long and hard about spending 20 quid on them especially as i had already wasted a similar sum on the ear-peace ones. If you want to try silicone plugs you might be better off with disposable ones to see how you get on with them without spending too much
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZMV...90d7-4acad4469710&ie=UTF8&qid=1521657841&sr=1

20. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've never had a problem with the foam plugs falling out if they are inserted properly..so will be sticking with them

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    In Saucy Marys bunkhouse last year I shared with a fat Italian, GS1200 owner, who could snore like a jack hammer, Thankful I had my cheap foam plugs, to get a good nights sleep, they work on the bike too.

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    When I mentioned the snoring to the young French couple in the room, they did say I didnt have much room to speak.

• Funny Funny x 2