pinlock at night ?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Tel, Aug 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tel

Tel Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Cambs
    Hi, having been 6-7 years since I had the last bike, I was quite impressed to see how helmets have evolved, with drop down sun visors and pinlock anti fog etc.

I decided on a shark speed R, and noticed while unboxing, the sheet in the provided pinlock visor insert said "day use only".
    As the visor and insert are clear, Is this just covering themselves or is it a bad idea for night use ?

And a slightly related note, any glasses wearers have recommendations for anti fog treatment on my specs ?

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Hi Tel, this is right up my street
    I have the Shark 900s with pinlock and once it is in place I leave it. It isn't really something you can take in and out easily.
    As they are clear they are perfectly fine for night use, I think you are right they are just covering themselves as the same packaging is probably used on smoked/tinted visors.
    I give mine a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth and a bit of visor cleaner and it has lasted me two years since I put it in.
    There is some double vision near the very edges of the pinlock visor, but nothing distracting.

Regarding glasses, I use Optifog cloths to keep my glasses clean and reduce fogging, in fact they totally stop fogging for most of the day, but I give my glasses a quick wipe each time just before putting my helmet on, very VERY effective.
    They cost £5.99 each and last many months of daily use. They are meant to be sold with glasses with OptiFog lensees, but I actually found these most effective on normal glasses.

I got mine from RXSport, I bought two which I know will last me the year
    Linky here
    01780 783932

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tel

Tel Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Cambs
    #3 Tel, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Many thanks Red Thunder :cool:
    Optifog ordered. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    I can heartily recommend the yellow tint pinlock for dusk/night use. I find it really enhances what you can see.

ATB

Bob

5. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I've been using pin lock in my helmet for several years and have not had any problems at all…. day or night.

6. Tel

Tel Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Cambs
    Odd, there seems to be a recurring yellow theme with you :D

Thanks guys.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I also use RainX for the visor so rain just rolls off.

I am still looking for a solution to stop rain going down my neck though.

8. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Tel,

Good enough for VR46, good enough for me. :D

Purely coincidental on THIS occasion. ;):)

ATB

Bob