Picking Up The Doer Upper Today

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Relay, Jan 15, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    So I collect my 1995 Triumph Trident today.
    Hired a van for the 200mile round trip.

Can I ask where you get little bits and bobs for the bikes from?

I need the plastic fuel switch cap that fits into the side panel on the bike but I can't find one anywhere to buy other than a £30 CNC machines cap.

No doubt I will need a lot of bits but this one is already puzzling me

• Like Like x 2
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    The metal fuel tap switch is a good idea, the plastic ones can break easily.
    triumphhinckleyparts.co.uk
    Sprint mfg
    National Triumph
    Fowlersparts.co.uk

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #3 Adie P, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Good luck with the trip and enjoy that Trident. A good 900 is a real 'all-rounder', its only real downsides being that it's tall and heavy so needs a bit of manhandling, especially at walking pace. If the engine's in goood condititon and the carbs are well balanced it is a peach out on the road - grunty, quick, but not mental, well mannered within it's weight/height limits and an exhaust note that is wonderful in the high registers.

As you've found, parts can be a bitch to find, many being obsoleted (is that a real verb?) by Triumph. Fortunately, Fowlers are showing availability of a fuel knob for yours at £8.35

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/2400081T03

plus postage. It may not be EXACTLY the same as the original but will be a close, possibly 'updated' compatible replacement.

In general your first port of call should be the main dealer to get an idea of whether or not parts are still obtainable - I've always found Fowlers' web site and service to be very good but other main dealers may have a similar level of service and web site functionality so try your local dealer first.

Next will be to try Trevor at SPRINT Manufacturing.

https://www.triumphparts.co.uk/?s=fuel+tap&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

Sprint have been working on and with T300 Triumphs since they first came out and they even get some repro stuff made in house or to order. Great people, very knowledgeable and very reasonable pricing.

For used (often well-used) parts I'd try Ivan at NATIONAL TRIUMPH first. He sells tons of Hinckley stuff on ebay. Not necessarily cheap, not necessarily the best condition parts but, if he has what you want or need, he is often open to some negotiation and a little bit of discount.

It's easy to forget that many of the T300's are more than - or rapidly heading towards - 30 years old - imagine looking for original parts for a '69 Bonnie in 1999...........................

We do, of course, expect to see pictures - lots of pictures - of the new acquisition and, perhaps, the full story of your adventure into 'restoration' or rehabilitation of one of Triumph's finest ever products.

Best of luck with that Trident.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    #5 Relay, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    It's home. It's not a 95 though, it's. 93. I was torn between restoring to trident standard or customise it.
    Going to get all the panels resprayed but same colour and the sprint front fairing is definitely going, no matter what. Is it saleable? Are these sprint fairings sought after?

I need a trident headlight though.

I also now have two plastic caps for the fuel tap as I got a small box of bits including the missing rear section of fairing and grab bar.

6. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    PXL_20230115_153443584.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    PXL_20230115_153452786~3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Looks pretty complete, really - just a few odd broken bits and the common failure to replace an original indicator!

My personal view would be that, in the long run, conversion (reversion?) to a Trident will add a fair bit of complexity and expense to the project IF you're going to look for an entirely original look.

You'd need headlamp; shrouds and instrument cluster - so there's your original mileage screwed! The front wiring loom might be different, too, as I imagine the Sprint's might be longer to allow for the fairing.

You could retain the brakes but they're better than/different to the original - or at least the fronts are - as the Trident has (IIRC) non floating discs so if you're looking for the wholly original look they'll be obviously different.

The silencers on the Sprint were, I think, lower than on the naked Trident as the Sprint was set up to optionally have side panniers fitted - the original "sports tourer" approach.

It's difficult to know if the Sprint fairing is desireable and/or saleable - I'm guessing there might always be somebody looking to replace their cracked or broken fairing with a complete OEM one. If you are determined to remove it then it's probably worth hanging on to, if you have the space to store it. How much it's worth depends on who's looking to buy and why. It doesn't have the original windshield so that might devalue it slightly.

A big project but a good one with a sound base.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    Hi Adie,
    With it being a trident, the clocks and instrument cluster remains the same doesn't it?
    Looks the same as the Daytona 900 I had a long time ago.
    Everything should be trident originally with the exception of the sprint front fairing and headlights.
    Didn't know about the brakes though

10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Relay.

No, not quite - original Trident clocks sat in a "binnacle" and were configured with the temperature gauge located centrally above them ..... like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17557438...MIsciY0NrR_AIVKe_tCh3RogJfEAQYASABEgL1GPD_BwE

If you're looking for the original, "naked" look, the clocks will have to be changed.

The solid front brakes on the Trident look like these ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266072734608?hash=item3df32bbb90:g:6EIAAOSwQv5i7Nye

The early Sprints were badged as Tridents - I think later ones got different badging.

11. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    Adie, I am actually gutted. This was posted as an original trident with just the sprint fairing.
    I assumed that the clocks were original and I needed to just convert the headlight back and then restore the rest.
    I don't even know the correct mileage the engine has done now either.
    Not sure I want to keep it and spend money and time on it now.

12. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    I have just received the logbook through.
    It doesn't state the model on the logbook, just the manufacturer.
    I went online to SORN it and then checked the MOT history. It is classed as a Sprint and not a Trident.
    I feel like I have been done. It was advertised as a trident but it's a sprint.

Not sure what to do next. Person said it have been in the garage the last couple of years but last MOT was 2006! I couldn't check before as reg was not provided.

13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Relay. Really sorry to hear of the situation you've found yourself in with that bike and can fully understand your frusration.

The positive "spin" on the situation would be to suggest that it's a genuine and highly unfortunate case of mistaken identity! In essence the early Sprint really was commonly seen, and known, as a Trident Sprint with the 1/2 fairing being the most obvious difference between the two. As mentioned earlier, I have a feeling that the Trident badges were used on the early bikes - though I wouldn't swear to that in a court of law.

Realistically it's quite feasible that you'd get most, if not all, of your money back if you break the bike for used spares, though I imagine the experience wouldn't be anything like as satifying as restoring a real Trident!

I'm really very sorry to be the bearer of such disheartening news and information and hope that you find a way through to a satisfactory conclusion.

Please let us know how things pan out and good luck with whichever course of action you choose.

14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Floating disc's I believe we're std on sprint , as a difference between that and the trident.
    Whatever the mileage , so long as it was regularly serviced the motor should be good , cam chain would be an important part to check. 130/160 thousand km ~ 75/100 thousand miles is roughly how long they last ..!

15. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    I have checked on the MOT history to confirm it is a Sprint. Couldn't do it any other way
    I have messaged the seller to request the bike is collected and I am refunded as it was advertised as a trident and that's what I believed I was buying
    He has just agreed.
    I will lose about £100 on this but lesson learnt.
    I am also back to being triumph-less

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    A lucky "escape"?

Live and learn, I guess - presumably for both buyer and seller in this instance!

Hopefully, you'll soon find the Trident that you're looking for and will get busy overcoming the disappointment. At least now you'll have a much easier time spotting any anomalies in any potential purchase.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    Every day is a learning experience and yes, thanks for the guidance, I will be better prepared for next time

• Like Like x 3
  18. Relay

Relay Member

Jan 9, 2023
    Barnsley
    I still have the bike.
    He gave me nearly half the money back.
    I kept changing my mind like the wind when it came to getting shut or restoring it.
    I wired it up, checked for a spark, and turned it over.
    I turns over quite well, no sprag issues.
    I actually got it started for a couple of seconds before I chickened out and turned it off as it hasn't run since 2006.
    Decide to crack on with dismantling the carbs and start stripping for rebuild (long project).
    I then found the swinging arm was cracked at the adjuster.
    I was going to break it but I went to the local bikers cafe and there wasn't a single T300 in sight.
    I then got offered a replacement swinging arm for £30 so, the rebuild is on.
    Need a bit more room in my garage then I will start stripping everything off.
    Still not sure about reversion or conversion though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON

Hi Relay.

Definitely something of a "curate's egg" for you, I suppose, but it's nice to hear that somebody else is keen on seeing an old T300 resurrected!

I'm pretty sure that many of us would like to see/hear/read about your "journey" with the restoration & rebuild of the Sprint. The early ones are not that common so I, personally, would be inclined to bring it back to as close as possible to standard SPRINT trim ..... but it's your bike, your P&J and your choice.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Adie

• Like Like x 2