Performance Upgrades On T100 Efi Engine In A 2001 Frame

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by PeteZ, Mar 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    #1 PeteZ, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Hi All,
    looking for any advice on how to improve the performance of my inlaws Bonnie that I have a unlimited use of when back in Czech. I have ordered TEC rear shocks and front spring upgrades, the bike already has some weird american silencers (Supertrap silencers with spark arrestors), so looking at other things I can do, like air filter, spark plugs,tune possibly?
    Any help and personal experience is much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_3396.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Depends on your budget really.
    Have a look on Triumph Twin Power website. That should give you some ideas.
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. bonnedeville

bonnedeville New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Vietnam
    Are you considering to replace X-Pipe?

• Like Like x 1
  4. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    As it is a second bike for me (not really mine yet but probably will be at some point) the budget is not huge as I will drain all my resources on the soon incoming big Scrambler. The ride quality was a must as after getting the wheels up to the right pressure, it was extremely uncomfortable on Czech B roads, almost scary at times.
    Can't remember how the front break was, but I expect if I improve power, I should consider upgrading that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    I have seen it on new liquid cooled bikes but not on air cooled old Bonnie. The pipes look to me like straight out type with no cat? I obviously maybe very wrong on that..

6. bonnedeville

bonnedeville New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Vietnam
    I think you still can replace with the X-Pipe. Just check and if possible, this is a change that you can feel the affect right away

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘Almost scary’ could be down to excessive speed for the conditions but I would start with a ground up check of what you have got.....starting with the front forks, springs fitted and oil levels in each leg. Progressive springs https://shop.tecbikeparts.com/products/progressive-springs-bonneville-t100 (£65 with oil) give softer initial travel on rough road surfaces and are less jarring on arms and wrists. I always find my front brake adequate if unspectacular but I keep it well serviced and use EBC organic pads. What they lack in initial bite is made up for by complete feel to the point of skidding.
    The seat looks shot which will do nothing for comfort https://www.britishbikebits.com/ds003-bonneville-seat (£235) and the original rear shocks are ‘wallow and weave’. Tec £100 or Hagen £200.
    TTP mods https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/bo...aster-efi-airbox-modification-removal-kit.php (£235) will transform mid range performance and can be done incrementally. Just pull the filter snorkel off for starters.....

Basically you need to set a budget and prioritise before you blow £750!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    There is NO x pipe on air cooled Bonnies!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bonnedeville

bonnedeville New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Vietnam
    Oh i didn’t know that since my bonnie is liquid cooled. :D

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The seat does look like it has seen better days. The SE comes with a thinner, more sculptured seat than the T100, which is about 15mm lower. I really noticed the difference when going from my T100 to the SE - it felt cramped after about an hours riding. Problem solved by fitting the "fatter" T100 seat.
    Your seat now looks like it has the same low profile! A new seat will improve comfort! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Thanks Cal, same way of thinking. The TEC progressive springs are on the way (don't think they come with oil though for the 60£), I think the front brake was ok, will look into the pads, that could help it along. Seat I have missed out to be honest, not sure why. I know the inlaw is keen on that look so may be forced to swap for same or similar look but will defo investigate. TEC rear shocks in black with adjustable height also on the way, hoping to get 25mm at least on the bike height and should be big improvement on ride quality.
    The airbox removal may be a bit more difficult as my inlaw likes things by the book but will chat with him about this.
    Thanks for response, at least I know I'm sort of heading the right way!

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ......well the exhaust is not exactly ‘by the book’ and you will only get the performance benefits to match by opening up that inlet side. Otherwise it is just noisier.
    You may find your fork oil is clean and sufficient in which case no replacement is necessary - just support the bike on its frame and drop a new spring in either side. The bars will likely need unscrewing to access the fork caps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    True about the exhaust, I'm surprised it passed the Czech MOT as the minute you turn up with something that is not original or approved accessory you are very often doomed. I'm actually considering changing the bars as well for wider tracker style with risers..

14. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    When you say, just pull the filter snorkel out, do you then just leave the filter exposed inside the casing or does it need somehow holding in place? I'll get the K&N filter which was a great success in my VW Amarok as well. I have also seen a video where guy have removed the restrictive frame above the air filter that reduces the flow into the engine, allowing the system to be using the whole filter surface.

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ok. A couple of things......

Under the side cover you have an L shaped rubber schnorkel the major function of which seems to be to reduce induction roar. It also protects the paper filter from torrential rain. The ordinary stuff will probably never get in! The schnorkel sits in a plastic oval cover that retains the filter. If you are a dab hand with silicone sealant you can profile the cover to smoothe the airflow entry in the style of a TTP ‘Breathe’ cover. 80% of the benefits for .8% of the cost! (The silicone can easily pull off should you ever want to revert to standard)

You really need to pull the restrictive internal baffle above the filter. Removal instructions on TTP website.....or if it will never be replaced soften with a hairdryer and pull hard!

The K&N filter is more restrictive than TTP’s variant and about the same price. I still use paper and have yet to soak it.....

Your best single financial return is to download the TTP tune onto your ECU and derive the maximum induction/exhaust benefits.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Make sense, thanks for this, I'll start with the snorkel removal and Breathe cover possibly followed by a more technical internal baffle removal (without the heat gun as that may not go down well with the inlaw ;) )

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You can juggle the baffle out by loosening the airbox and mudguard and remove it intact.

• Thanks Thanks x 1