Vintage Tiger Part 4 Triumph Tiger 955i refurb - well fix really

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Nov 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #1 thebiglad, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Bugger, bugger bugger. I thought my battery had given up (which it had) so I ordered a new one which arrived today. After charging it I put it on the bike and looked forward to normal service being resumed.

Bugger ! Bugger ! She turns over like a good'un, but will not fire. I can hear the pump working as normal, but she won't fire. Normally I don't touch the throttle during starting but desperation set in so I started winding the throttle and she NEARLY started, but not quite.

Bike was running fine, before the battery problem. No other work done recently.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Not yet Jez, It's quite dark here now so I'll have a look tomoz.

Cheers
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I got a can petrol this morning (just to make sure the fuel gauge wasn't lying) and eventually she caught and fired up, but she won't tickover. On these bikes the idle is controlled by a stepper motor, so that'll be the next place to look.

I had to fire her with a bit of throttle (normally you don't touch the throttle during start-up) which confuses the fuck out of the ECU, so when she did fire she was running like a bag 'o nails.

"Just another day, in Paradise - for you & me............"

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well fixing is nicer than keyboards. Enjoy. Eric

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Once done Eric, once done :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Feel you pain Dave - hope you can sort it soon.
    If it's any consolation, it's pissing down here - just had a lovely wet drive down the M3 from Basingstoke!

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks very much for your support and suggestions guys - this is why this forum works so well.

Tomorrow we are scheduled for rain so nothing much in the mechanicing line will get done 'til Sunday. I suspect it's this air control valve but we'll have to wait and see.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks for your suggestions Jez. I tried her again last night and she fired up straight away with no throttle. However the tickover was erratic so I'm leaning toward the air control valve which controls cold starts and tickover. Apparently it might be possible to 'service' this item so I'll spend today researching it and tomoz strip the bike and have a go.

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Apparently this IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) system works with a stepper motor that benefits from regular cleaning/lubing, plus a series of vacuum hoses that can over time perish.

So, all being well it'll be strip down bike to access the IACV, clean the stepper motor and replace the vacuum hoses.

We'll soon see....................................

10. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Sounds like the problem I had recently. Without any warning , despite healthy battery and excellent electrics (thank you decosse) the bike wouldn't go. I had to trailer it to a diagnostics place who found a failed CPS.
    How do they fail, nobody seems to know.

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Crank Position Sensor I would guess.

Not the Crown Prosecution Service !!!!

12. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    #12 Flay, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Co -rrect
    As an aside , it's possible that the CPS is the same as some Japanese bikes (Kawasaki maybe?) and available at a lot cheaper than Triumph prices. It's a pathetic little plastic thing that attaches on top of the transmission case on the LHS and Triumph charge about £60 for it.

13. shawn

shawn New Member

May 26, 2017
    Teesside
    I'm having the same problem