Vintage Tiger Part 3 of Tiger 955i refurb...........................

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Sep 26, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    OK so today I got off my arse and did some work on the front forks. It took about an hour and needed a 6mm allen bit, a 6mm allen key, a cross-head screwdriver and a good hammer.

P1050410.JPG

Supported the bike so the front wheel was safely of the ground and slackened all the 6 mm clamp bolts and the jubilee clips that secure the fork gaiters. Then gently tapped the fork leg lowers to push them up through the clamps until there was 15 mm showing through the top clamp.

Tightened up all the securing clamp screws (torquing them to 20n/m) and gaiter clips and put tools away.

P1050411.JPG

Then went for a test ride through a series of bends. Perhaps a TINY difference in steering speed (really marginal and definitely nothing bad) BUT now I can put both feet down flat and feel much more confident with her. All the good stuff of a Tiger 955i without that tippy-toe, top heavy, out of control feel.

All good now.............................

Cheers
    Dave

• Like Like x 4
  2. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Did you try it at speed and/or loaded ? I'd like to do the same adjustment but I noticed a slight weave at speed with mine when I was traveling with a loaded top box and no pillion. Mine's a wire wheeled '03.

3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Flay, I haven't had much time for exhaustive testing as I only did the mod today, but during the test ride I got up to maybe 120-130kph so 70-80 mph. Just me on the bike with no luggage. Absolutely no suggestion of misbehaving.

Honestly my main concern was had I changed the steering head angle too much, but you would be hard pressed to notice any difference at all. She still steers in a very neutral manner.

The most obvious change is the lowering of the centre of gravity and the lowering of the seat/ground relationship. It just feels loads safer.

4. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I've been doing a few things to the bike, and took the opportunity to drop the forks as well when I had the cockpit fairing off. I'll report back as soon as I've had a chance to test it out.

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I look forward to your impressions.

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It was just a matter of who first .................................................