Paint On Tank Blistering

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Vectis John, Jan 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    I have a T100 Matt black, 2019.

cleaning it today and have noticed that in several places there are blisters / bubbles under the paint. The worst area is near the seat.

I have searched on here but can only find similar issues with plastic tanks.

Dealer has asked me to take it in tomorrow for them to take a look.

Anyone had similar issues or ideas as to cause?

F73B9224-49EA-4ADA-ADB6-74DD760BC453.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Surely fuel tank paint should resist fuel spills?

These look like blisters when you get water trapped under paint also - because it’s Matt and a pain to keep clean - it’s had a tank cover on almost from new so I don’t think a fuel spill would get down near the seat. The others, less obvious are just above the knee rubbers.

I am hoping it will be covered under warranty ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Triumph#3

Triumph#3 New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Arizona, USA
    Well by the picture it looks like rust to me under the paint. If the bubble/bumps are hard I bet the tank has rust under the paint. If the the bumps are soft, paint is coming up. The picture on my computer looks like it has a hint of rust color in the paint, may all be lighting and camera or my crappy computer. Let us know what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Took it to the dealers today, Very helpful and understanding.
    I should clarify that this was under a Triumph tank pad fitted from new. It had started to lift so I removed it intending to replace it with new adhesive pads. It peeled off very easily and found the blisters. It can’t conceivably be petrol, it’s been sealed.
    Dealers have photographed it and will be recommending a replacement. Fingers crossed!

5. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    HI John
    This will be covered under warranty, I cannot see how this could be caused by fuel as by your picture it looks like it's down the ns which is on the oppersite side of the filler. You would have to be spraying it all around the forecourt to cover it in that point.
    Also just because it is a matt finish which I would never buy just means that it would have a matt lacquer on the paint which it would have to have as all auto manufactory's these days have to use water based paints.
    Hope this helps
    If they don't cover it go public, but I have found Triumph paint warranty really good.

6. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight

Hi yes it’s a Bagster but I had a pad put on when I ordered the bike. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Just to take the thread a little sideways, I have used Bagster tank covers on many of my bikes over the years. It is so easy to clip tank bag on and off
    them, but for me the added bonus has always been that they protect the tank from chips and scratches. Before fitting a cover I always WELL polish the tank with a wax polish and then take the cover off every 6 months or so to repolish the tank. I have never had any problems with anything getting under the cover or damaging the tank.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vectis John

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    Hi - Just an update on this. I took it to my supplying dealer on Saturday (Dave Deaths, Isle of Wight) and they processed a warranty claim. Got a call today (Tuesday) to tell me that the tank is already in. Booked in from Saturday with a courtesy bike if I need it!
    Very impressed with the dealers and Triumph. Great service.

• Like Like x 6