Padlock For Sprocket

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by SpeedTwin1200, Jul 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I wanted a padlock that would fit both the front disk and rear sprocket on my Speed Twin. The reasoning is that discs are cut quicker these days than locks, I didn't want to carry a lock in my pocket and a lock on a sprocket goes through the chain and is perhaps more of a deterrent.

My solution is the ABUS GRANIT 37/55 Sea and Snow Lock. The gap in the sprocket is not that big and this 11mm shackle just goes through (from the inside only) and there is just enough clearance for the chain.

I chose this bicyle saddle bag to keep it on the bike.
    https://www.evocsports.com/products/accessories/saddle-bag-race

There's also an incentive to keep the chain clean.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    There was someone on here who tried to ride off with the sprocket padlock in place, and ripped the sprocket clean off.
    Anyone know where the photos are?

3. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I know I'd do the same so I'll only use it front or back with the reminder attached!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Well, yeah that's why I have to keep my chain lubed but clean. Like you I don't leave mine very often but depending where I do, I have the option of front or rear disc and the sprocket. The Oxford Boss I have at home won't fit the sprocket. I've seen thefts (on the internet) where they just lift the front end or cut through the disc as it is cheap to replace and quicker than grinding through the lock. Hopefully they'd think twice with the sprocket locked.

How do you carry your locks Ade? Rucksack?