Thruxton Paddock Stand For Thruxton

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Spacefrog, Nov 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Anyone recently purchased a paddock stand for a thruxton ? Can anybody recommend a good one or one that fits and is easy to use, need to get ready for a xpipe installation .

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    8129E21B-B499-4665-9C01-759F9AD69661.jpeg B5AC3570-1AD4-4142-BC48-409E9FB64984.jpeg I use Harris stands front and rear good quality,I have had them for about 12 year

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Nearly as much quality as that bike, looks nice and
    clean Glyn….

4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    You get back what you put in,

5. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Went to CMC in Newport today to try on a few helmets, on the way home on motorway, cant quite believe the acceleration from 60mph upwards, you got to ride it to believe it…..

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    5E28FC05-B5AF-43F1-85D7-F2FB473BC22D.jpeg They are quicker than you’d think, give it full power off the line and it comes up off the power in first and second. If you turn the TC off. And my previous two bikes were a 675R and a GSXR1000

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    :)Gus the Bullmastiff is not a bike by the way he was just there

8. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Does he stay there all day guarding incase someone thinks they can come and help themselves.

9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Sometimes he didn’t even let me out there:)

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    By the way the ABBA stand in the pic is quite useful if you buy the footrest kit, it then fits virtually any bike..

11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Thinking on,the ABBA stand with the footrest removal kit and a small bottle jack to lift the front would be perfect for removing the cat and installing the X pipe

12. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I used R & G's paddock stand (PADD-REAR-BK) which fits the Thruxton and the Bobber amongst others.

13. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Hey martin have you fitted the x pipe to your thruxton yet, is it as difficult as some say? i am handy with cars and bikes, do all my own repairs, cars and bikes, i do intend fitting one but i hate it when stuff goes wrong and wont go back together correctly and damaging it…..

14. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire

Yes I have and here's the post I put on a few days ago!

Now then, I have a Thruxton 1200R with Vance and Hines (after market Triumph option) silencers with the baffles removed and with a Boosterplug fitted. Already done a couple of thousand miles like that and the sound is completely unobtrusive. Only downside of the bike is the low speed pick-up coming out of slow speed bends or roundabouts where you have to use a judicious amount of throttle.

Ordered theTec de-cat X pipe Friday, fitted it Saturday afternoon in about three hours, having seen the Tec video and some others. Did it on my own with the help of a rear paddock stand and the cat (pussy type)! As some of the other comments on here state, it is more difficult on the Thruxton for a few reasons but things to note are that the frame rail on the left hand side has to be freed off; the header pipes have a balance pipe in front of the radiator and I found the simplest things to do were remove the left header, loosen the right one and remove both silencers (to give access to the clamps on the cat/X pipe); also free off the tank and disconnect the left lambda sensor at the loom. There's no substitute for taking your time and stopping now and again for a quick slurp and to ease the brain fatigue. Once it's all stripped down, easy to fit after that. Make sure you're careful not to tear the graphite gaskets, put the clamps on the right way round and no point refitting the o.e. heat shield (I've a Palmer Products sump guard fitted).

Anyway, once it's all back together, it definitely sounds throatier and the low speed pick-up us much improved; no kangarooing out of bends any more and there's more mid-range, making an already fantastic bike into an even better one!!! Win-win, totally happy except there's nothing to look at, it's all hidden out of the way!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Thank you Martin, you make it sound easy but you are right, you need to take your time, I'm confident i can do to the job however a bit nervous about getting the pipes back into the xpipe and headers without damaging anything, and then to find i have a blowing exhaust, the bike is three weeks old so i am hoping that will be on my side as far as coming apart and re assembly is concerned ….

16. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Mine is now 15 months old and I have tried hard to not use it in the wet so it stays fairly clean. The old cat came out easily and I was careful to make sure I got the X pipe lined up first before I began tearing any gaskets. The gaskets are soft but not particularly thin so will take a small amount of abuse!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Spacefrog, what is your primary reason for fitting an X pipe? Power, or just sound?

18. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Well…. some say it makes the engine alot smoother and along with it sounding a little better seems a cheap way to acheive that, my bike is new and i am totally happy with the way it is for now, i may wait untill i am bored and order one but then again i might not, a new helmet is needed first anyway, the shoei one i am using is now 10 years old but still in good condition, im not so sure about why these stores keep telling me i should replace my helmet after five years, more like they want to sell me one, i look after my stuff so i am confident i wont smash my head in if i were to be in an accident, anyway i am too good a rider to just come off, and i dont trust anyone on the road…..ha
    Back to the x pipe….i definitely dont need any more power thats one thing i do know for sure…….

19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    If the power isn’t important any of the open pipes will definitely give the sound you want.
    End cans you can fit in under ten minutes with no hassle at all.
    With regards the the crash helmet it’s way more important than the bike.
    So spend wisely

20. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Contact Wizard Thruxton R parts for sale, he has standard cans with the baffles removed for sale

• Thanks Thanks x 1