Oxford Heated Grips - Another Thread!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by steve lovatt, Oct 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I know that a few people have already fitted these to different bikes but I really can't be bothered with cold hands this winter or faffing about with thick winter gloves and inner liners.
    Got these from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk - they're the Premium Touring ones, which I think (hope) are the correct length for the Bonneville. £49.99 instead of £79.99.

20191023_120042.jpg

The Premium have five settings, whilst the advanced have nine (too much faffing involved here I think). They are for 22mm bars (which the SE has and not the 25mm (1" bars of the T100). The difference between the Touring, Sports and Adventure models is grip length and grip pattern.

I should be trying to fix these tomorrow and will update the post as I go. Already watched Delboys Garage video where he fits them to the Scrambler. Point to watch - don't bash them on with the palm of your hand as you might with ordinary grips - as you might damage the wiring or contacts within the grip.

Other advice I will be following is to "dry fit" them first and not use the glue - some guy did this apparently and only got the grip half way on before it set! :tired_face:

Don't really want the controller on the bars if I can help it as it looks a bit naff, but better that than cold hands if I can't find an alternative spot. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I have fitted 15 sets of these in the last 3-4 yrs,what i found works best is only glue the clutch side,just scuff the throttle slide slightly and twist on without ANY glue works a treat.

• Useful Useful x 3
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m guessing you must be a mechanic, or have you gone through 15 bikes in 3-4 years Gaz? :eek: :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Freck,no mechanic,although i tackle most things including fitting/balancing tyres myself,but yes 15bikes in the last 3-4yrs easy,ask DD.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Just fitted two set to our speed twins, they come with a sticky pad so you can mount the controller wherever you want Steve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sean quinlan

sean quinlan Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    these were fitted to my triumph when i bought it but they are draining the battery, They are connected to the battery and are draining it at 0.3amps per minute. As i have no instructions don't know how they are supposed to be connected, Never had a set on any bike before but at a guess would say into the ignition any help before i start stripping off the tank etc. Thanks Sean

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    As far as i know these heated grips are meant to be connected directly to the battery as they switch off automatically, have you isolated the grips to check its not something else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. sean quinlan

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    yes i disconnected them and drain from the battery stopped

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    #9 darkman, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Interesting, maybe worth you trying to contact Oxford for help.
    Also the controller should only draw in m/amps so my guess is it's a faulty control unit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Cheers mate - it was your original thread that got me thinking about doing this in the first place.
    My plan is to mount the controller with the sticky pad, hopefully on the LH side of the headstock - like this from The Bike Shed's fitment to a Street Twin.
    Oxford-Hot-Grips-Retro-3.jpg

Can't do it on the RH side on the Bonnie as it has the stupid, pointless, awkward steering lock barrel sticking out there! :D:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sean, according to the instructions with my new grips, the switch is "extremely efficient, and in standby will only draw 71 microamps (0.071mA)." So it looks as if yours must be faulty as the grips draw 3.6Amps on average. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I haven’t glued mine on and they’re fine but you need the controls where you can see then while riding or turning it up and down will drive you nuts

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Here we go then - the fitting of heated grips to a Bonneville.

1.jpg
    Seat off and tank bolts removed. Pull tank back off the support rubbers and carefully lean it back against you whilst standing on the RH side of the bike. You will need to detach the breather pipe.

bh.jpg

and then this electrical connection by pressing and separating.

ec.jpg

Finally the slightly fiddly fuel hose. Push the orange collar down and squeeze both sides until it pops off. (this is the point when I wished my tank had been almost empty as it becomes quite heavy)

fc.jpg
    Well, as the tank was now off I decided to check the valve clearances at this point - so slight derail of my own thread :D

Remove your spark plugs - colour looks quite good.

sp.jpg

Remove the four Torx head bolts holding the cover on.

cc.jpg

then unbolt this bit so you can get it off.

g.jpg

Success! Exhaust valve showing just around 0.27 clearance (should be 0.25 - 0.30).
    Inlets were good as well being around 0.16 (should be 0.15 - 0.20)
    fg.jpg

At this point it started to absolutely p*ss it down - so the impromptu rain shelter was deployed.

rs.jpg
    Back to the grips - you really do need to trim all the projections off the throttle tube and then sand it down to a smooth finish. The fit of the grips is very tight, especially the RH one, so much so that I haven't bothered with gluing either side.

t.jpg

Wiring up is a doddle. Positive and negative connections to battery, connect that to the female connector at the end of the controller lead and then each grip to either one of the two remaining connectors (you cannot get it wrong). Check it all works before routing the wires and fixing anything in place and then you're good to go.

(Have now used up my photo allowance - bear with me) :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This is where I mounted the controller - still accessible but out of the way.
    c.jpg

Both grips now fitted - the arrow moulded into the grip indicates the correct angle of fitment.

lg.jpg
    rg.jpg

Just a bit of tidying with the wires - all hidden under the tank. Run up the bike and there we go - toasty hands and no more bulky winter gloves. It is bloody hot at 100% after about 2 minutes. :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    You have me worried now as i didn't check my plugs or tappets when fitting mine Steve :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Only did mine as I've reached 12000 miles. I have another thread running on checking valve clearances and only did it today as the tank was off! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  17. sean quinlan

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    thanks had a look at the post then took a look at my grips. The guy who wired them up for some reason put a relay in that had 2 neg and 2 pos. Stripped it off now no drain on the battery and warm hands thanks

• Like Like x 6
  18. sean quinlan

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    here's the extra wires having never had them before i thought this was the way to wire them up

DSCF3835.JPG

19. sean quinlan

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    meaning never had heated grips don't know why the relay was added

20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think it's because some people are reluctant to wire the grips directly to the battery, fearing that they won't switch off and will continue to draw significant current. This is despite the fact that the oxford grips are made that way and designed to be battery connected only.