Tiger 800 Overheating??

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by crispey, Feb 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Someone I know is looking at buying a tiger and on researching has found a lot of complaints about them getting very hot in slow traffic in town! I’ve not experienced this as I don’t go into town too often but does anyone know or had first hand experience of this?? Which models year etc etc!
    Ta

2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Not sure which model you're on about crispey. But I do know the early 1050 tigers had a few overheating issues. In a lot of bikes the cooling system had a fair amount of casting sand in it. A good flush out and refill easily cured the problem. Some used to lower the temperature at which the cooling fan kicked in using TuneEcu. I never felt the need with mine. In stationary traffic in summer temperatures ( remember those :) ) the temp gauge on mine would rise by one bar. Then the fan would cut in and bring it all back under control.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ta, it’s in the title lol!

4. TigerRider101

TigerRider101 New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Cardiff
    Yes twice (800 XRT 2016). First time was filtering/stop-starting through a traffic jam on the motorway. Stalled and couldn't restart until I turned power off and on again. Second time was on Hoggin' the Bridge. Was crawling through the villages for about an hour on a massive queue of bikes. Again stalled but this time engine wouldn't start at all, until someone gave me a jump. After I got to the event and parked up for a couple of hours it was fine. I think both these occasions were extreme examples though, I was crawling for ages in heavy traffic on a warm day in both cases.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not had this occur with mine (2016 Xrx now with 18000 miles).
    Been stuck in lots of heavy traffic (bloody Brussels!) and yes, the temperature bar does rise up into the top quarter of the
    gauge relatively quickly and the fan kicks in but it's never cut out.

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup, I’ve had mine stall and not start but not experienced “burning legs”