Outdoor Bike Cover

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Biker Jock, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #1 Biker Jock, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    My bikes live outside, so need good weatherproof covers, including resistance to wind damage (there's quite a Venturi effect where they're parked). I had Oxford Aquatex covers, but they didn't last long at all - about 2 years - before falling apart.

On recommendation, I went for JDC covers next, just over 2 years ago. One now lets rain through, and although the other one hasn't been letting rain through, it will after today. Where it is exposed to the sun, it's gone very thin and ripped. Sigh!

Any recommendations for good outdoor, all-weather covers that might last a bit more than a couple of years - at least five would be good.

I did find a similar question from 2014, with an unnamed suggestion as being very good, but the anonymous link to 'here' gave me a 'cannot connect to server' error. So I guess their covers were so good, the company went bust.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I can only offer an idea. Since it is sunlight that perishes the covers and assuming you cannot park in a shaded area, what about a decent lined cover under a larger cheap outer one? As long as the cheap one is loose and has some kind of vent it should still breath.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    That is a good suggestion, and one that I've used before. It's also one I might go back to if there is no better solution. My only problem is wrestling on and off two covers - it can be a pain.

But I might resort to that again. Thanks @Notso

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well if the aquatic did you for 2 years constant use I think it did well for a flimsy cover, £12 a year is not too bad a return. I had a rainex on my bike for a couple of years, I bought it second hand so it had probably done a couple more. They do 2 heavier versions and at the moment the large stormex is on offer at a few online shops at around £50 so if it only makes four years that’s still a bargain at £12.50 a year

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fripnchips

fripnchips Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Reading
    I have the oxford stormex and all of the taped seams have started to peal off. I was then given a XYZCTEM cover from Amazon which is fairly cheap but i use this over the top of the stormex as in torrential rain it started to leak abit but with the stormex underneath the bike was dry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Oh, I'd like a couple of them for my bikes, but I really don't have space. Our fault for liking Victorian houses where there's little or no room at the side of the house for parking anything, and I can't get a bike down into the garden.

Otherwise a great suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jelly1

Jelly1 New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    London
    Have had stormex cover and although the tape often peels away from outside bike is always dry and with the soft touch liner hint they are the best out there I have had 3 over about 8yrs will buy again when this one goes also the large is big the xl I had on my tiger800xc was ample

• Like Like x 1
  9. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i have tried quite a few different ones over the years stormex is the best i am on my third one. they tend to last four to five years
    then the seams start to peel and they perish in the end they rip like tissue paper.