Out Of Production Models

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by RJinTX, Jun 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    #1 RJinTX, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    My 2002 Bonneville America is more fun than a new puppy, and reliable as sunrise.

I do have a wondering eye, and consider other rides.

Specifically, a Thunderbird or Trophy.

I have begun to wonder about the wisdom of buying an out of production model.
    I fully accept that accessories will become less available as time passes, but I'm more concerned with the availability of parts.
    I prefer to be out riding rather than in the garage tinkering, or doing modifications, so my rides are taken to a dealer or independent shop if repairs are needed. I have the ability to tear up an anvil with a hammer, so not a DIY type.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Do you mean the T300 900 or 1200cc carburated models of these or the much later injected models?

3. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    #3 RJinTX, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    yes, I should have been more specific.

I'm considering 2012 - 2017.

A Thunderbird has the lead for the time being.

I have had occasion to ride my son's BMW GS 800, & a friend's BMW RT-1200.
    Both really nice rides, and this got me to start thinking perhaps something newer would be nice.

I am kinda a brand snob, not as bad as some BMW or Harley folks, but I like Triumphs.

4. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Thunderbird twins never really had a ton of aftermarket love. But as with most Triumph's, they are pretty reliable. Basic maintenance parts (filters, plugs, brakes) should be readily available.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    The Trophies are very large and cumbersome but make a great tourer. Dont think the thunderbirds are the best handling bikes, isn't the suspension crap? Seem to recall moans about that.
    Best to try and get a ride on them before deciding.

6. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014

My current 1993 Trophy 900 has nearly 87,000 miles on the first one ,same year did 139,000 before I pensioned it off, apart from the usual wearing items I have replaced carb needles (worn through) Ignition pickup once, alternator drive coupling, and on the first one two sprag clutches until the second uprated one. I don't think that there is a bike made now that would do what I want so I hope this current one keeps going for a year or two more.