Optimate, Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Jul 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I've been advised to keep my battery tethered to an optimate 3 charger, is this good advice, and should it be left on all the time the bikes not been used.

71bPKV6TEIL._SL1280_.jpg

2. David Cooper

Subscriber

I've already got it mate, my hand goes in my pocket before my brain gets into gear, I shouldn't go on Amazon and drink Guinness at the same time.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Today's bikes with immobilized ignition and alarms - drain battery real quick if not used. Optimate keeps the battery at it's peak.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. David Cooper

Subscriber

Too late m8, I,m like a kid with a new toy when a parcel arrives, the packaging was torn open and chucked in the bin.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. David Cooper

Subscriber

Cheers m8

6. David Cooper

Subscriber

Good advice, and I'll stay off Amazon when I,m on the Guinness.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Guedovsky

Guedovsky Well-Known Member

May 6, 2018
    Portugal
    I understand you... my hand also always goes quicker to the wallet than my brain process the buy.... But I have the 4 and it is an excellent product. While using my T100 (daily) I keep it charging my Honda 400 SW scooter (poor thing it never rode again since i got the Triumph) while on vacations or long weekends apart from the T100 (lonely weekends for my poor T100) I plug it on the T100. Great buy

• Like Like x 2
  8. Guedovsky

Guedovsky Well-Known Member

May 6, 2018
    Portugal
    I understand you... my hand also always goes quicker to the wallet than my brain process the buy.... But I have the 4 and it is an excellent product. While using my T100 (daily) I keep it charging my Honda 400 SW scooter (poor thing it never rode again since i got the Triumph) while on vacations or long weekends apart from the T100 (lonely weekends for my poor T100) I plug it on the T100. Great buy

9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    A lot depends on your battery and what you've got fitted to your bike. As others have said, alarms and gadgets will drain a battery. If there's nothing draining juice then it's down to the battery. As an example the battery on my 1250 Bandit has never had an Optimate or any other "battery optimiser" connected to it, yet if you leave it for three months in the dead of winter it will then start at the touch of a button. If you have a battery that's come with a new Triumph bike like most of us on here, it's going to be dead in a few weeks. By the way, the battery on my Bandit is at least four years old.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    I use something similar..... a $30 4-step, 12v, 750mA Battery Tender brand charger that monitors and keeps battery fully charged when the bike is not in use. Keeping the battery fully charged when not in use helps prevent sulfating and subsequent battery degradation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    It's easy to check your bike's battery drain over time. Simply disconnect one of the battery terminals and put even a very cheap multimeter on current between the battery and terminal.
    If the meter says no current is being drained your okay. However, sulphate deposits on lead acid battery plates is generated when it's just left for very long periods without use (months not just a few weeks or even days)! So relax.
    I'm going to fit a GEL battery to my T120 when needed, they are better in all ways and don't suffer sulphation like lead acid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As others have said, yes and yes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    Of course, when the original battery finally takes a dump, get into the 21st century and replace it with a Lithium Ion battery and avoid all the BS of lead acid batteries. That is my game plan. Much lighter battery and none of the LA battery hassles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    You will also require a new Li specific charger to go with it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    True! If you need to charge it. But a Li battery does not have to be maintained to avoid complications like a lead acid battery does. And it will last several times longer on charge cycles than a LA battery.

• Like Like x 1
  16. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Got a Li on my KTM690 Duke and it didn't survive the over winter layup.
    Changed on warranty, but dealers said it needed a specific tender for more than 2 months of non use. Also Li do no like extreme temperatures

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Central Iowa, USA
    That also is true. But I am not in the habit of riding my bike at freezing temps, which is where Li batteries have their issues, primarily with charging. If bike is stored, just remove the Li battery. Not that great of a job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    True. With last years failure I will store the battery indoors this winter (makes it harder to steal as well!:p)
    I store all my 18v Milwaukee batteries indoors but foolishly left the Li battery on the bike over the winter. live n learn eh!;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tricky159

Tricky159 Member

Jul 15, 2018
    South Wales
    A GEL battery is a Lead Acid battery ,it's just that the electrolyte is in a gel form so it can't leak if tipped over

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tricky159

Tricky159 Member

Jul 15, 2018
    South Wales
    Hi David .
    Just plug the bloody thing into the battery when you are not using it & then forget about it .
    Why would you want a lithium Ion battery unless you weigh 50KG & you need to be a racing god ... BTW don't try using a Li Ion battery below 5 degrees C cos it ain't going to work..

• Like Like x 1