Optimate Lead, Scottoiler

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MattChr, Apr 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Prepping my Speed R (MY2016) with some odds-and-sods accessories...

Where do you leave your Optimate tail hanging or wedged? I use it for charging but also for heated gear during the colder months. The lead seems too short to run from the battery to under the seat, and I'm hoping there's a tidy place I haven't spotted yet, before I consider the (rather pricey) Triumph accessory Hella socket.

TomTom Rider is used infrequently, so the sat nav cable will connect to SAE Optimate plug, so it can connect to the fused Optimate lead.

Also installed my Scottoiler, no error lights and primed OK until it meets the swingarm which might be caused by a pinched delivery tube. Not much room to hide it! Underside could collide with chain, tyre-side of swingarm has no room, v little room alongside brake lines and chain guard (think it's pinched as I tightened the bolts securing the guard)... I'll try the thinner vacuum tube along that swingarm section, to see if it fits better inside that chain guard and not pinched in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  2. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    I have my optimate lead running to the left and exiting between the tank and the left hand radiator cover.

3. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    mine hangs out between the frame and batter cover along with the sat nav power connector

4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I poked mine through the gap between the left side of the battery and frame. After a significant amount of fishing using wire and a pair of forceps, it popped out behind the side cowl.

Amazingly the rubber socket/cap is exactly the same size as the plastic mounting on the cowl, so it lodges in and stays put...and is easily recovered when it needs to be charged.

Hard to explain, so hopefully this helps (viewed from above):

IMG_7270.JPG

5. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Ive fixed mine with a couple of black cable ties onto handlebars clutch side ,,pretty neat & unobtrusive even if I say so

6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    just under battery cover with enough hanging out to connect but not too much,i put cable tie on lead under battery strap so just right amount left just behind headstock under tank/battery cover.

7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Tuck mine back under the battery cover and can still hook it out when needed, but I only use it for charging.
    (Garmin sat-nav has a separate hard wired ignition-on supply)

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Regarding Scottoiler routing, on my 2016 Speed Triple I have it routed thus
    IMG_20180427_090314.jpg

IMG_20180427_090401.jpg

IMG_20180427_090325.jpg

The bike was polished at the weekend, but one day of rain and it all goes to crap:mad:

9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Stop doing have a job you lot get a small bit of sheet aluminium . Bend it & drill it so it fits , then paint it Matt black and attach it to the bike on the outside with appropriate fitting.
    Job done ant it will look much neater and not result in scraped fingers or taking the seat off every time