Open Face Helmet Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SleepyOwl, Aug 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    The styling of many Triumph bikes lend themselves to riders using an open face helmet. I realise full face helmets obviously provide greater protection but arguably open face "looks" better.
    Do you choose an open face helmet due to the style of bike you ride?
    What do you have and which are "best"?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i very occasionally wear one when i'm on my Harley,i don't think there is a "best" as if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident your face is likely going to get mashed up whichever make you are wearing. i do ride a lot slower when i wear one, but i still feel a lot more vulnerable

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Bell 500 is by far the best, i ride my old Triumphs with it mostly as i use a full face on my modern bikes but i used it the other night on my Speed Twin and was very impressed at how good it performed even at higher speeds.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve thought about an open face helmet but as yet haven’t found one that feels comfortable enough for me.
    I liked the look of some of the Bell Custom 500 like the one below but haven’t tried one yet.

44A5772A-4A35-412E-B81E-91596DAFFDF8.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I like open face and have the Arai XC. For an open face design the XC has more protection compared to other brands. The chin area is longer by about 1 inch offering a bit more protection. I like my XC and recommend it.

upload_2019-8-2_14-48-33.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

upload_2019-8-3_0-33-56.jpeg

I rode my Legend wearing a pisspot, kinda suited the look and feel of the bike, but I have no real urge to wear one on my TDM900

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    :joy:
    If I may say so sir you have a lovely looking helmet! :no_mouth::)
    My full face helmets are all Shoei as I have a Shoei head too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I don't have an open face FACE ! I'd prefer to have the choice to go without a helmet round my local town site ! Can't hear shit through a full face around town and an open face is far to noisy on an open Road at speed's above 70 kph ,45 mph !
    The States in America that give you the choice wear or not have the lowest motorcycle fatality statistics !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Holy crap, £350 for an open face.....I was thinking mine was fairly pricey but you've got 150 shekels on me :eek::eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have the shoei hawker in grey for my thruxton, nice and light and comfy, bell lids don’t fit my head. Also have a shark evo 3 which is both full and open face, the chin guard flips right round the back so it gives me the choice when on my tiger

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    You may say so, sir indeed. That's a first. :p

Yes they are bl**dy expensive. Bought mine at a local J&S on a Sunday morning. I was the only customer in the store. They were desperate for a sale so knocked 40 quid off to tempt me.

I had gone to look at the bell helmets but like arai helmets with my head shape " square peg round hole ".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I wear an LS2 OF521 open face in the summer. open lid.jpg and an adventure style full face in the winter. The LS2 is the only open helmet that fitted my round head properly.

15. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    I wanted a Bell open face but the shell shape was not suitable for me so I got a Shark hERITAGE which has a concealed pull down visor. Fits me perfectly.

shark_heritage_blank_matt-black.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    Likewise. I would wear an open face on a cruiser and in nice warm/hot weather. However I am fully aware of the potential danger in an accident and so otherwise I would stick to the full face.

I once purchased a bike from a trauma nurse in a big hospital and he was adamant he would NEVER wear an open face due to what he had seen were the results of open face helmet use in certain accidents. He wouldn't elaborate, but it was clear he had seen horrific injuries.

But yes I would still wear an open face on occasion although that warning is always in my mind.

In fact I was knocked off a few months ago and the visor of the full face I was wearing at the time is badly scuffed from contact with the road. Had I been wearing an open face, it is quite possible I would have suffered far worse than the injuries I did sustain. A sobering thought.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Fredrik Käll

Fredrik Käll Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Sweden
    In the town, slow speed, short distance I use a Bell 500 with bubble visor.
    Otherwise always a Carbon X-802.

18. upload_2019-8-5_13-15-26.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  19. A couple of years ago we did 66 with open face lids and I have to say it was so refreshing I swore when I got back I’d have to get one.
    On returning I also changed my ride to a T120, of which I love and enjoy! The open face lid suits the bike!
    It’s not a race bike and I don’t ride it as such, although I do love playing with the torque.
    I went with Davida, real quality piece of kit. The paint, leather and fasteners.
    No doubt full face are a safer option but like others before me have said, life is full of compromises and if I was going to enjoy motorcycling to the full I did not want that claustrophobic feeling.
    Racebike these bikes are asking to be written fast, and that being said I will probably don my full face!

• Like Like x 2
  20. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    As some has already said i to find myself riding more conservatively than wearing a full face. I take corners slower and take fewer chances. Apart from the cooler air to my face i also like the more vision give you. Maybe tempting fate here but ive had a good few nasties over the years, one putting me in a Russian hospital for months. In all these, my helmets have had side damage just above my ears with my shoulders taking most of the impact.

• Like Like x 2