Only 550 Miles

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Alan Robert Badgery, Nov 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Robert Badgery

Alan Robert Badgery New Member

Nov 12, 2022
    UK
    Just cleaned my new 1200 Speed Twin and having only done 550 miles I noticed the radiator had white bits on it. It looks damaged, but it appears the paint has just been worn off. Anyone else come across this? Haven't had chance to take otto dealers yet, wondering what their response would be. ? radiator.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Could it just be dirty? Mine looks like that if I've ridden down a muddy lane, can be a bugger to get off but just use a brush to get into the crevices.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    You need a radiator guard. I recommend Evotech.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #4 Eldon, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Be very careful brushing radiators as they are extremely fragile.

To OP;
    If if really is a paint issue rather than dirt, send pics direct to Triumph customer care. I did and found them very responsive. My rear wheel had done just over 500 miles when after the 1st service I had the tyres swapped. A stick on balance weight removed the paint, about the size of a finger nail. No issue whatsoever and the wheel was swapped at no expense to me other than fuel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Are you sure that's not dried coolant that's leaked out somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Had a similar issue with mine after one wet ride. Triumph would not entertain a warranty claim - apparently this is normal.

7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    On a paint quality related point, I've found the paint on the SS wheels is very thin and easily damaged on the rim when tyre changing, even when using plastic rim protectors. On the plus side it's easy to match and touch up and virtually invisible when the tyres are inflated.

On the OP about the rad, if that is paint flaking off it could get much worse if you continue riding when the salt goes down this Winter.

8. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I just use a softish brush, have done for years on various bikes with no ill effect. Agree, wouldn't use anything with stiff bristles though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Did you clean it with a jet wash by any chance? The paint is certainly thin enough and the fins can easily be bent slightly which might be enough to loosen the paint.
    It just looks like the bare metal is all on the right of each fin as you look at it. The overall effect is similar to a pebble dashed radiator which clearly your's isn't.

If a jet wash isn't the culprit, then I'd say the paint wasn't well applied in the first place and Triumph should own that one. It's not peppered with stones up the centre line or from insects elsewhere, which is fair wear and tear, (which wouldn't happen in 550 miles anyway). And as Pegscraper says, if that's bare metal now, the salt will whiten the rad even more.

Triumph now charge £567 for that radiator and I've noticed they don't do the rad guard they did for the 2019 model. As above, I'd recommend a guard too. I had an Evotec one which probably suits the newer Speed Twin better than my earlier one. And the bike doesn't suit a mudguard extension.

Maybe the quality of finish isn't what it used to be on the newer radiators, certainly if that's happened with a hosepipe and brush, that's not right.

10. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    My 765 radiator had weeping split fins front and back all over it after riding for 30 days brand new. The dealer wouldn't approve. I had to send macro shots of the issue to Triumph USA to get the ball rolling with my dealer's service center. Better close-up detailed pics will help your case a lot.

• Like Like x 2