Featured One For My Brothers Across The Pond.and Next Year

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Dec 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I have decided to restore my TSX. I don't want to restore the tin ware on there. So I have decided to look around for second hand tin ware to have restored. So you good people if you are out and about and see someone selling bits for the 82 TSX get me the details. I have found a couple of dealers but they are a bit on the pricey side for what I want. Just fallen in love with this bike and want it eventually look new. Or like a DarkMan creation. It was an American import and I believe most went there.
    Regards
    Joe. IMG_0945 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 19
  2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Will do, that is a very nice looking bike you will be glad you kept it at a later date

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Don The Don
    I am glad as well. I just love it to bits. I did the 70 mile TOMCC run on it and it really made me smile. Yes it broke down about 10 miles from home again but I think it was screaming out for a good service. Thanks for the help.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Good luck with the restoration Joe :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Nice piece Joe: But then, I like machinery better than I do people. People are too much trouble :) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire-Wheels.
    Yes people are complicated. And my bike is my buddy does everything I ask of it and never complains. And thanks Bad Billy.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Don't think I ever saw one of those here in the western U.S. . By that time the Japanese were really killing them in the U.S. market. Pretty stiff competition to beat. At the time I was riding a 8 year old Yamaha 8 valve twin and wishing I could afford a new bike. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire Wheels.
    Probably not. I think there was around 370 odd bikes made mostly for the American Market. Its a little rarity. But you never know perhaps one of you good peeps may see some bits or a scrapped bike just wishful thinking I presume. I did find a couple of tanks with damage but they wanted fortunes for them and the Indian market don't supply that particular tank. Good news is I rectified the clutch sticking and got it fired up today and yes it did bring a big smile to my face. But the old starter gear is still clanging so need to get that looked at. I just love it and want to get it perfect for summer riding. You never know sometimes wishes do come true.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I wish you well on that project. I hate to see old bikes sit. Better hang on to any pieces you got, good or bad. Never know when you will find another. I keep all my original parts, bagged and tagged. when I am dead and gone, someone my need them to keep an old bike alive. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, Joe, you are right. Sometimes wishes do come true! And not always just when the wishes are motorcycle-related. Have a wonderful and special Christmas!

Cheers, Sandi T

• Like Like x 5
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T & Wire-Wheels.
    Have a great Christmas and New Year.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    nice looking bike, I don't think I have have seen one of these, cool

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    JerryBB
    Yes it never was intended for the UK market. Then it flopped in America. Only 370 odd bike got released.

Regards & Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Cracking looking bike, good luck with the restore project mate :):)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #15 Wire-Wheels, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    If my memory serves me well, just about EVERYTHING flopped in the US in 82'. I spent 17 months out of work, nearly lost my home, and made the least money that year of my entire working career. The economy, and the whole country was on it's face. Mortgages were at 17%. The motorcycle industry was the least of our.worries. 1982 was a life changer for me...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Cool looking bike Joe it looks like a modern version of the T140D special and I have never seen one,she dont look that bad whats up with the tin

• Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rudeboy.
    Yes it was a feeble attempt at a custom by Triumph. It handles very well and sounds great. The tin work has a few chips and the decals on the tank have started to chip and flake. But its the original so I would replace the bits and have them resprayed.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire-Wheels
    Yes they were bad days things got a bit tight. And then the Jap Bikes were eating the markets cheaper faster and throw away.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

19. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    In my opinion Joe an original bike such as that should be kept original and the wear and tear related bits add to that originality unless of course they are beyond repair and look too scabby and really need doing but kept to original where possible good luck with your resto,
    merry xmas and a great new year to you and yours,
    Nick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    RudeBoy
    Yes I agree in many ways. Just got to get the old bing carbs running right now and its ready again.
    Have a great Christmas to you and all of your family.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2