Featured One For All The Optimate Acolytes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Smilinjack, Mar 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    I've just finished reassembling my Sprint ST having replaced the rear shock while it was in winter store. Not been run since maybe October, hooked onto an Optimate.
    When l came to start it l hit a problem-it would spin over briefly then quit, and needed a bit of a rest before it would spin again. Managed to start it but then l checked the voltage at the terminals. 12.4V, which is a touch underwhelming. Even when the charger was on l got no more than 12.6V. As luck would have it l have an SAE 74 lead, which allows me to hook the charger via crocodile clips.

20200310_142802.jpg

The charging voltage immediately rose to 13.9V! I must assume that my permanent lead has gone high resistance, causing inferior charging and also l suspect fooling the charger about the battery's true state. I was getting all green lights until l changed leads, whereupon the battery started slurping more juice.
    So, even though many, myself included, swear by smart chargers, there may be a caveat regarding the leads. Thought it was worth sharing :)

• Useful Useful x 12
    • Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Yep, started first prod this morning. And there was I a button press away from ordering a new battery. I had a spare lead which I whipped off my old ZZR so that's on and it's happy days again. Deffo one to be aware of. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    "Smart chargers" are not always that smart. Just went.through some problems with my America. I had noticed it was getting harder to start and the exhaust sounded a little off key. I was thinking "I haven't put spark plugs in.this thing in YEARS". The charger was indicating the battery was full charged, but I found out the battery was "toast". Cannot complain about replacing the battery. That is the same battery it had when I bought the bike used back in 2013 ! At that time the previous owner had to charge the battery up so I could test ride it. Norhing lasts forever [even those spark plugs I still need to change] ;) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Great reminder that we usually asume that it's a component at fault when something doesn't work. As you rightly point out, it can equally be one of the bits in between i.e. the wiring and the connections!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. XCaTel

XCaTel Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Just had to replace a shot battery in my 2 year old Tiger 1200. No problem I thought with my 2yr warranty. Warranty refused, only 12 month on the battery. It has spent its life on an optimiser when not in use and it has only seen 21k Km. They ain't what they used to be!

6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I have recently replaced my old triumph genuine battery 4 years old with one of these yellow AGM motobatts it spins over quickly and so far im impressed as it was the same price as a yuasa time will tell if theyre any good i guess,

• Like Like x 1