Old Vs Young

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Oct 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Get outta my way you old fecker im coming thru.

Data also shows that the aging brain is more capable of creativity and innovation than its younger counterpart.

Psychologists and neurophysiologists specializing in the cognition of aging have identified two remarkable, co-existing components that allow for this unprecedented creativity. These two components are: 1) long-term memories and experiences and 2) the ability to rapidly connect far-ranging associations. Imaging studies have shown that older brains are more distractible and disinhibited than younger brains, a trait that is directly linked to creativity. Furthermore, members of the elderly, distractible group could solve complex problems more rapidly than younger participants with focused attention.

Knowledge that highly creative individuals can hold disparate information in their minds at the same time is not new information; however, the finding that this ability naturally increases with age is new. Research from UCLA’s Center on Aging has identified several neuro-circuitry factors in the aging brain that correlate with increased identification of underlying patterns in a bigger picture. While younger people may have better short-term memories, older people have a greater repertoire of experiences and can quickly make broader connections.

The design legend Steve Jobs, who introduced the Apple iPhone when he was 52, expressed this same idea when he stated that, “Many people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. Without enough dots to connect, they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective of the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.”

The research findings that correlate aging with innovation are being reflected in statistics on successful technology ventures. According to 2018 data published in the Harvard Business Review, the highest rate of entrepreneurship in America has shifted to the 55-64 age group, with people older than 55 almost twice as likely to found successful companies than those between 20-34. The average founder of a high-tech startup is not a precocious graduate student but a mature 40-plus-year-old engineer with a family.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Thats all well and good possibly true but after you've done all that creativity and innovation you forget where you left the plans :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    There is hope for use old farts yet then...the trouble is by the time its taken for us to come up with the creative innovative ideas ......some other bugger has thought of it first.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #4 Wire-Wheels, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    At almost 74 I find it takes me longer to "sort and file" what I'm looking for mentally. Lots of stuff collected in the old brain to sort through. I never held a job more than 6 years in my whole life. I would just get bored or fed up with the people. Or they would get fed up with my crap :D . I worked in skilled trades all my life, but could never settle down on any one thing. Makes my brain kind of cluttered. Ended my working career as a maintenance engineer. Somehow I managed a pretty good retirement out of the whole thing. Been retired almost 11 years. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2