Trophy Old Trophy 1200 Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by fatty jr, Jun 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fatty jr

fatty jr New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    uk
    Hello out there,

im looking for a little direction with a problem with my bike.

Ive had a bike a few years and it' always been a pleasure to ride. rode it to work few months ago and it started running on 2 cylinders. sounded like a dying coil so put a pair of new coils on and carried on riding the bike.

few weeks later, pulled away from work and got a mile down road and bike acted like it was running out of fuel. switched fuel tap over to prime and rode bike home. carried on riding bike while i waited on parts for fuel tap. Rebuilt fuel tap and put new hoses on while i was at it. Odd occasion it seems to act like it was running out of fuel so put a low pressure fuel pump with a bypass circuit on so it would circulate fuel as it's known to get vapour lock on the fuel lines especially when they get hot in traffic.

Ran ok for a few weeks and then out of the blue on my way home from work, it started running on 3 cylinders, then onto two cylinders. This is still pointing me to a fuel problem, but i'm getting fuel to the carbs. Only thing I can think off is there might be some garbage in the float bowls or somehow the floats are jamming shut.

ive not had time to look at the bike as been busy at work so i'm planning my attack so when i get time off i can hit it hard.

any ideas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Pilot jets are favorite

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Is it always the same cylinders? Check your leads too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    On the bottom of the carbs are some screws which will allow the fuel too run out, That way you will see if any particles in or if it is going through

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Stick some Redex, or similar, in the petrol for a few tankfuls and ride it like you stole it (ish). That should clear the carbs out if that is what is needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fatty jr

fatty jr New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    uk
    sorry not been back sooner, too much work on ha ha.
    got brand new leads installed with new spark plugs and coils.
    it's one of those puzzling problems that i can't put finger on.

Bike has always been reliable. even being stood it always started with fresh fuel and battery top up. I always gave it some fuel treatment once a month.

I think my plan of attack is pull carbs and tank and go from there as if it was an electrical gremlin like stop switch or something, it would affect all cylinders not just one or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Is the tank suffering with rust?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    When did you last drain the carbs & tank, all of my recent bikes ( Trophies ) have had an accumulation of water in the bottom of the tank, the last one had 2.5 L caused one or two odd starting an d running issues before I removed the fuel tap, drained and cleaned / refilled with clean fuel

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Go to the pilot jets, next to the main jet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Could it be the crank pick up sensor for the ignition ?
    Sometimes they can fail and cause intermittent problems.
    I`ve seen on here others having problems with them.
    It`s part No 1 in picture.
    Others on here might have more experience of this on forum or more information

crank_sensor.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Crank sensor failure would affect all cylinders equally and 99% of the time is all or nothing.

The symptoms would point to a fuelling fault rather than an electrical issue, and removal of the tank to change coils etc is enough to disturb / reset the fault, the other thing to look at would be the carb vacuum caps on the carb tops for presence and splitting / leaks, also check the vacuum line to the tap from the carbs ( usually from no 3 ) and or pinched / trapped fuel lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Delfox

Delfox New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    manchester
    They have a problems with the pipes deteriorating (Fuel lines}

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. amsermvp

amsermvp New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    New jersey

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. amsermvp

amsermvp New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    New jersey
    I own an 03 triumph trophy 1200. The fuel vacuum line that has/needs a 90゚ angle. Because it rubs against the frame and cracks. The vacum fuel line on the petcock to the #3rd carb. That fuel line kept cracking rubbing against my frame. After 8 months of this happening again and again. I replaced it with a 5/16th ID yellow weed whacker fuel line. Where it bends at the petcock I used to shrink wrap and heat to bend it Into a 90゚ so it wouldn't kink. Sloved that problem. FYI any overheating problems. The sensor in the radiator goes on at 100゚C. Which is a boiling point. I replaced it with a Standard sensor TS266. It turns on at 94 Celsius before it boils. All my overheating problems went away. I did do all the things you did thinking it was electrical. But every time I pulled a tank I notice the vacuum line to the carburetor from the petcock was cracked every time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2