Old Style Bonnie Panniers

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by T0pcat, Jul 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    When I bought my 790 T100 (new in 2004) ! acquired a set of leather (nubuck?) panniers. The Part Number was A 9510037 type XCS 001. I fitted the rails (which look identical to the current ones in the accessory kit) but never actually fitted the panniers. Fast Forward to today (yeah, I know, what took so long...). I decided that despite only having a 3kg capacity, they'd be OK for a weekend trip and tried to fit them.

There are five pairs of slots on the inside of the panniers, but they don't actually align with the rails. I used cable ties through four of these, but the ties don't come anywhere near the lugs on the rails, presumably there to stop the panniers sliding on the rails. The fifth set, which appear to be for the lower part of the rail miss by about an inch. Added to this, the panniers are connected by a six inch wide leather strop which lies on top of the cable loom under the seat. When fitted, the seat will not fit over them and I suspect, were I to use a bit of force to get it on, the leather would crush the harness.

Triumph tech support have not got a good record helping me out so i was hoping someone else out there had some experience of the old design and could help me with some advice. Needless to say, I've lost the instructions.

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Post a picture as we can’t always connect to just part numbers

3. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    Getting photos with my phone in the shed is a bit of a pain as the light really isn't good enough. Added to that, for some reason my computer has stopped talking to my digital camera. Will try again today.

• Like Like x 1
  4. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    C1ACC23D-2B86-4A80-9E3D-35B46C52E266.jpeg

ECBC6DB9-91B2-4E72-B10B-17CA3B78B566.jpeg

7DF0FEA2-2612-44DA-9B36-F853BCA862D8.jpeg

FFBBBEEA-3EF9-492E-8FC4-C0790537F2A1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    These are the best I could get

• Like Like x 1
  6. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    OK, I sent the snaps from my phone. The Panniers came with four leather straps, although there are five possible places to use them in each Pannier. The panniers will not come off the bike without removing the seat, which is a PITA. I'm beginning to think they are only good for "dressing" a bike in a showroom, but I have them so I'm going to persevere. I'm just going to double up on the cable ties in the first instance, at least they hold them to the rails pretty tightly. I'm going to try to protect the harness by wrapping it in a bit of microfibre cloth tucked under the leather. It's probably not a long term solution.

If I can get the seat on, I"ll wheel the bike out and take photos in the sunlight.

BTW does anyone know where to get a set of Jenks Bolts for the seat?

7. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    48241745-D5EC-4E29-9B00-128A16759D3E.jpeg
    Last post today. here’s the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Firstly, you can get long bolts for the seat from Norman Hyde or several places on ebay all slightly different but do the same thing. I think Motone and Tec also do them.

regarding the panniers the straps are designed to go under the seat so that the panniers are more difficult for a toe rag to quickly take off.

If you are going away for a day or two I would suggest putting all of your stuff in liners, the leather panniers are not waterproof! You can then take your belongings with you when you stay overnight and leave the panniers on the bike

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I have the same pannier rails running cloth or textile bags which mount in a similar way. They have tabs on the rails which mine hook round. Even for mine they are a bit hit n miss and flap over bumps.

10. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    Mine don't come close to the tabs. The broad leather straps joining them are also pressing on the plug and socket bolted to the frame under the seat. I have a microfibre cloth under these, trying to protect the harness. Time will tell. I'll whip the off after a couple of hundred miles and check for potential damage.

Rooting around in my loft, I found an old tail pack I used on my Sprint. It may be a more practical solution to the odd weekend trip than these "ornaments".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1