Old, New Bonneville Cuts Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Porl, May 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    I have a 2004 Bonneville that's done 8500 miles. I rode all the way across London the other day (about 20 miles). Once on the openish road it cut out at 40mph and wouldn't start for 5mins. It turned over but no ignition. Same thing happened three times at 5 mile intervals. I panicked and called the RAC. Went on holiday by train instead. Now I want to fix the problem. The recovery guy, not RAC, said it was probably the rectifier, I tested it and it seems fine. I know there's a lot it could be but what do you think the problem is?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    First i would check your fuel system and make sure that the fuel tap is functioning OK (is it vacuum type?) and then move onto the ignition system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #3 Callumity, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    The symptoms you describe are lassis (?classic!) coil failure......although it could be fuel it sounds less likely. Got a £10 multimeter?

The question is ‘which coil’? You have an ignition coil under the tank ar the headstock and a pick up coil under the Rh triangular engine side cover. You need to check resistance values/continuity on the ignition coil - 17,000 ohms plus between your HT leads. Check between low tension tabs for simple continuity. The pick up coil connector is tucked up beside the battery high behind the Rh side cover. Trace the twin wire up from its grommet near the oil inspection window. About 570 ohms.
    Resistance is not foolproof as they can cool and read ‘normal’.

Let us know what you find. Ignition coil https://www.motobins.co.uk/ PVL 70506 £49.20 (as used on older BMW twins)
    Pick up coil dealer only or Online OEM.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    Well, searched for loose or dirty connections etc and fitted a new ignition coil (not Triumph) - I was sure that was the problem. Travelled 5 miles and it cut out again. Waited 10-15mins and it was OK for another 3 miles. After the third time I was home. Is it a pickup coil connector I'll have to replace?

5. Porl

Porl New Member

May 11, 2019
    London, England
    It was the pick up coil. I replaced it, (not as scary as I had imagined). Now it runs like new, well like 15 years old. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Congrats. With the 360 degree motor we both have it can be a toss up which coil is playing up. The 270 motor has two ignition coils and the chances of both failing simultaneously........zero!
    Anyway, new skills acquired!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Porl.
    Glad you are sorted. We need a picture of the steed.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1