Ok... Forum And Bacefook Not Worked...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DCS222, Feb 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Trying to sell my bike, but I’m not giving it away... which platform is best to try next and why...? Just saying a name won’t help me decided, my noggin needs reasons.
    A). eBay
    B). Autotrader
    C). MCN
    D). A N Other

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ebay - biggest coverage and easiest access by far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I'll suggest D) - I have had quite a lot of success using Gumtree for bikes and cars in the past, there are no fees to advertise, from memory you get 6 pictures to add to your text, I always spend a lot of time on the description, I detail every service mileage & date along with MOT's and list the extras, a bit more time spent here makes your advert stand out.
    I highlighted my reason for choosing Gumtree! :D Good luck with your sale, but you picked a good time as people are sorting their rides for the coming better weather.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #3 Dougie D, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    i use Autotrader and have always had success,remember to include loads of clear photos, the more the better,and be realistic with the price, although allow for a bit of bartering as almost everyone expects something of the price advertised.
    i've tried Gumtree but i had no luck and got pestered with various companies,maybe i was unlucky.
    i've also tried MCN but again didn't have any luck
    never used Ebay for selling a bike or a car,i think you would have to list it as a buy it now though, If you did it as an auction you would have to have a reserve on it..although personally i don't like when someone puts a reserve on things

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I used Facebook Marketplace to sell my Tuono, worked quite well :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Gumtree cos it costs nowt :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Where would you look first, if you wanted to buy one?
    Personally, eBay is the first place I look.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I have used Autotrader in the past but their sales tactics when your ad comes to an end if you've not sold were annoying. Went to Gumtree after that and had a very easy experience by comparison and it got the bike sold which made me happy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I have had success selling a few bikes on Gumtree. The great thing is there is no fees and I tend to pass on the savings to the buyer. This obviously generates more interest and good chances for completing the sale.

As Badbilly said... Clarity pictures followed by detailed description. When you draft the description make the format and wording easy to read and understand clearly ;)

All the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I’ve put it on Gumtree to see as it’s free... no real interest yet...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I once advertised a bike on both eBay and Gumtree. I wrote a bold note in eBay description ..... This bike is advertised elsewhere and I have the rights to end the listing early. A bloke saw my bike on eBay then he bought it through Gumtree. This will only work if you are selling it as classified ad or buy it now. Auction sale will need to go through because you don't want to let the bidders down.

This is a good time to be selling a bike. I hope you get a good sale. All the best.

Just out of interest what is your bike make and model. We can have a look at the listing and give suggestions to help anyway we can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Put her on eBay as a classified £14.99 for a month (as above it’s going up on the first of March) so good value at the moment, it’s the first place I look too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I think you have captured it well. I am looking at the pictures on my mobile and it's not very clear. It might be my mobile. I will take some close up pictures of the wheels, exhaust, paintwork and chrome etc to show that's she is in a lovely condition with no rust or damages. Also pictures of the service history papers with spare key as one picture.

Let's see as others might come up with more sound knowledge in helping you sell the bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Fine weather will sell her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    DCS... As DD pointed out change the 1st word to Appreciating in value....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I would be very wary of Ebay i just sold a set of T140 crank cases to a Paul Wilson from Glasgow. He waits six weeks complains they were damaged. Ebay refunds him now he has my money and my cases. But only till i get time to go and claim them back. Then he will either give them back or book his choice of Hospital. Ebay didn't care and were so unhelpfull to the point of being rude. They also with the help of paypal used my bank account with any perrmission from me.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Gumtree - for all of the reasons given above.
    I bought one bike off Gumtree and sold two on it with no issues. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I agree - ebay treats the seller like sh*t - doesn't matter how unreasonable the buyer is being, it seems that the default setting is blame the seller.

My ex-misses bought a second hand car satnav some years ago. It worked fine but was a bit old school - (looked like it had last been fitted to a Lancaster bomber and the destination kept coming up as Berlin!).

I sold it for her, advertising it as working, but used with age related marks - added plenty of photos, including the ripped and damaged box it was in. The bellend who bought it demanded his money back as it wasn't in "pristine, as new" condition, which he wanted as it was a birthday present for his girlfriend.

I complained to ebay that it was advertised as used and with appropriate photos but they just withdrew the money from my account. The tw*t left me negative feedback but I couldn't do the same to him! :mad::mad:

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Satnav don’t mention them ;);):)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  21. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Might go against the grain a bit, but I would give We Buy Any Bike a go.
    I used them to sell my S3X and was really impressed.
    Quick.
    Straightforward.
    Better price than I expected.
    You’re under no obligation so would be worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I’ve gone there, but due to the age, they weren’t close. But thanks for the idea