Oil Pan-'13 Street Triple 675

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Revit675, Oct 21, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    Hey everyone,
    Just had a quick question. Looking for some help on an issue im having with a mechanic.
    Long story short im having repairs done because of some metal pieces from the engine case that may or may not be in the oil pan. When i contacted the shop my bike is at to see if they could just pull the oil pan to see of the pieces are in there, they told me my bike doesnt have a "traditional" oil pan and can only be removed by pulling the entire engine out and likely going to cost me $2000-$3000 in labor alone. My question is, what is a "traditional" oil pan and how would mine be any different? Do you think im better off bringing it home and doing it myself? Im by no means a mechanic, but have done most of the maintanance and small modifications myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #2 Adie P, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    I'd suggest that you find a motorcycle mechanic quickly - and get your bike away from the person that currently has it since he, clearly, isn't talking sense. Either that or he's completely misunderstanding your requirements.

It sounds like you need to drain the oil - and keep it so that it can be strained to check for metallic parts - remove the sump pan (Triumph part number T1230138) and replace with a new gasket (Triumph part number T1230119) if it's all clear.

All here :-

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596558/street-triple-from-vin-560477/sump-fittings

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think it’s worth a call to a triumph dealer and just ask a question?
    I’ve found them really helpful in the past few years tbh so worth a go. As @Adie P said, get it out of there and have a good look yourself as it’s probably possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    Thats what i was thinking. I dropped the boke off at the beginning of September and they are telling me they wont even look at it until winter when business slows down. Because apparently they dont just clock in and work on the next persons bike that came in, its based on " when its convenient for us". I think they are jerking me around because i told them they are the only Triumph dealer anywhere remotely near me, so that basically ensures they have my buisness. They keep telling me how great the Triumph technicians are but apparently cant remove the oil pan without taking out the entire engine

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    So we're talking about a Triumph dealer? Seriously?

There MUST be a significant gap in their understanding of what you want/need from them, or they simply should not be trading under the banner of a Triumph dealer. Heck, even an independent would need nothing more than a quick look at the bike to be able to give you an idea of what could be done and in what timescale. A month and more just to tell you they need to take the engine out? They are - as my American friend would say - "yanking your chain"!

My advice, FWIW, would be to get the truck and trailer down there soon as, get the bike loaded up and get it back home. If you've got somewhere safe, clean and dry to work on it, buy the necessary gaskets and seals; a paddock stand; a 'shop manual (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Da...ocphy=9045339&hvtargid=pla-437792587429&psc=1) and a bunch of good quality tools and do it yourself. You'll still have saved money over what the dealer was quoting and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you've done the job that you wanted to be done - properly!

If you don't have anywhere to work on it, start looking for local independent motorcycle workshops - this level of work should be meat and drink for them if they're any good. Try to find other Triumph owners in your county/state and see where they go or if they know of a good tech.

From another forum :-

You don't need to move the engine to get the sump off. It can be done as it is. You just need an extension bar for your socket to get at the 8mm bolts at the back. Make sure you clean the faces of both cases to remove the old gasket. I used a sharp Stanley knife blade. Make sure you run it almost flat against the faces so you don't cut into the faces. It's a PITA job to do lying on your back, but just take our time.

You will also need a couple of small "O" rings for the oil transfer tube which you wil ned to remove in order to attach the gasket.

I sincerely hope that you get it sorted - and soon, though the Arkansas weather will probably soon rule out much riding anyway. Do, please, let us know how you get on and good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    The only reason i even got suspicious is because they initially told me it would be 3 weeks since they are so backed up, but in the meantime, i see people leave comments on their website within the last 2 weeks that other people got their bikes in and out within the same week yet my bike has just been sitting in the back corner until they slow down. We have strange weather here. Its cold in the morning but 76 mid day and cooler at night. Its about to start getting colder but we randomly have warm days that are nice, so if i get 1 more day of riding in before snowy weather comes, ill be happy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I agree with @Adie P that you should get your bike out of there ASAP but I’m curious as to what has caused this issue with the metal pieces from the engine case that may be in the oil pan?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    I havent been able to confirm for 100% but i beleive my it was my chain, based on the location of the hole, we believe the chain jumped a tooth and basically whacked the engine case. Also because im stubborn and someone told me it looked like my chain was getting loose and i didnt want to pay for a small service like that, so i put it off and put it off and this is most likely the result because i didnt prioritize it. Also i called Triumph customer service and they did verify that SOME Triumph bikes do indeed have a slightly different oil/sump pan, and he even gave me a part # for my bikes specific manual and based off what i was able to see online, the one on MY bike appears to be able to be removed while the engine is inside the frame...i have decided i will go get my bike and never look back. Worst case scenario if for some reason i DO end up having to take the engine out, i have a hoist and friends that know more than i do about mechanic work that will gladly assist me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hmmmmm..... OK, well, THAT does put a very different perspective on the overall issue.

SO, you've definitely holed the crankcase and, as it's an impact from outside - i.e. the chain impacting the case - there's a very high degree of probability that there WILL be metallic debris inside the engine and, therefore, in the sump.

Under those circumstances I can understand why the dealer was somewhat reluctant to take the sump pan off separately as it will/would be a necessary part of the overall job once that can be scheduled. A holed crankcase will almost certainly require a full engine out operation anyway so it would seem a fairly pointless effort to just remove the sump pan as a separate operation. Arguably, he might, in fact, be trying to save you money and/or time!

Lessons to be learned ...

- note to self ..... ask more questions and get the full story first before jumping two steps forward to an incorrect conclusion! ASS U ME.

- note to OP .... maintain the bike, especially the running gear; give all the details in the question before looking for detailed answers.

Hope you get it sorted, one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Thanks for the update. I wonder if you are going to be better just replacing the engine if you have holed the crankcase? Best of luck whichever way you go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    I was able to get the hole patched by a welder with aluminum, i just need to get those metal pieces out and ill be good to go. Im just sick of waiting on the shop that told me 3 weeks and then 5 weeks later they still havent touched it but others are getting their bikes in and out within days. They say they dont have time to work on it now. Am i just not understanding how mechanic shops work? Ive never brought a vehicle into a shop that wasnt first come first serve. Heck, since dropping my bike off atbthe shop, ive also taken a vehicle in to have the transmission replaced and got it back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    I was able to get the hole patched by a welder with aluminum, i just need to get those metal pieces out and ill be good to go. Im just sick of waiting on the shop that told me 3 weeks and then 5 weeks later they still havent touched it but others are getting their bikes in and out within days. They say they dont have time to work on it now. Am i just not understanding how mechanic shops work? Ive never brought a vehicle into a shop that wasnt first come first serve. Heck, since dropping my bike off atbthe shop, ive also taken a vehicle in to have the transmission replaced and got it back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Revit675
    Yes the pan is removable bit of a sod but removable. You say you had it ally welded. I am not so sure that that is a sensible job without stripping the cases. You could have distorted the cases now not to mention damaged seals and o rings. Welcome to the family by the way.
    Joe.

14. Revit675

Revit675 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    Harrison, AR
    No i mean i had a professional welder weld up the hole on the engine case. Definately not me. Someone who knows what they are doing